keeping hens from sleeping in the nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontygirlz, Jul 18, 2011.

1. vermontygirlz

vermontygirlz New Egg

May 15, 2011
    Southern Vermont
    should I worry that my hens like to bed down in the nest boxes? is this a habit I need them to break before they lay their first eggs? they are currently about 3 months old.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Problem is this. They aren't hens yet, they are still chicks or pullets and don't have clue about the nesting box yet. I'd not have them available yet. Keep them covered until the birds are more mature, when you see squatting and red faces (signs of maturity) then uncover the boxes.

3. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    There are several threads about this on here. I still run into some trouble with this even though I have just starting having one of my chicks laying eggs. I would seal the nest boxes off at night at the very least, but if they are only about 12 weeks old you can most likely seal them off completely for at least another 4 or 5 weeks. I had my black sex link start laying at 16 weeks, but so far she is the only one. I have a black austalorp and buff orpington that are both getting bigger combs and wattles but still no eggs. They are a little over 17 weeks old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by