Keeping livestock out of the coop/run

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
What do folks here do to keep the goats and other livestock out of the chicken run and coop? Our young nigerian dward goats (3 months) are obsessed with the chicken feed and will even go up the ramp from the run to get their food inside the coop (it's raised). It's stressing the hens out so they don't want to go in and lay eggs. I hate to keep the goats lock up all day but there's no other choice if they won't stay out of it. Only other option is to keep them fenced and move them around to forage until they're bigger I guess. Any design strategies? Or just keep them fenced?

@U_Stormcrow have your goats gone after your chicken feed?
All the dang time. I feed the goats first, then I feed the chickens on the opposite side of the barn.

and I don't feed ab libitum.

Even my adult 115# goats could get thru the pop door I made for my ducks. If the horns will fit, the body can follow. If you are free feeding, the only solution is to keep the animals completely fenced apart. Oh, and you should be aware that goats like to scratch their sides with metal fencing, so be sure those fence poles are well driven into the ground!

I would use portable electric netting to graze the goats.

How are they getting in the run?
I think we're going to have to do that. We were letting them hang out with us while we do outside work and they just like being out and about during the day. We have a mesh electric fence coming so we'll use that to let them forage in the woods. They have a fairly large fenced in area around their barn when we don't want them out, but nothing to forage for so it doesn't seem fair to keep them cooped up all day. But, letting them free range has issues with chicken feed so I'm trying to figure that out.

You should be aware that a goat with even a little motivation can clear a 4' fence like it was flat ground. Mine is electric, too.

Ours are pretty well trained - LOTS of pasture, and they know what side of the fence they are fed on - but every once in a while, they look real longingly at the blackberries and the grape vines. Then all of the sudden they are on the wrong side of the fence.

You should be aware that a goat with even a little motivation can clear a 4' fence like it was flat ground. Mine is electric, too.

Ours are pretty well trained - LOTS of pasture, and they know what side of the fence they are fed on - but every once in a while, they look real longingly at the blackberries and the grape vines. Then all of the sudden they are on the wrong side of the fence.
Wow that's nuts. We are working on a permanent 4' fence around the garden now. ugh. Might need to top it with some wire. They are smart and stubborn when they want something.

Back
Top Bottom