Keeping mongooses out

A mongoose has the strength and dexterity of a racoon the digging power of a rat and are tenacious of a bear. We don't have mongoose here, but I watch too much TV.
Start over and use 2x4s and FULLY in close it with hardware cloth. Bury it in the ground and on the top.

I don't recall mongoose ever chewing through chicken wire like racoons do but will listen too others' first hand experience. I have made some elevated pens with the cheap plastic chicken mesh and am waiting to see what happens over the long term. I'm sure the mongoose have seen it by now and, so far, so good.

Mongoose will definitely go under the sides of your coop. Give your husband a break and don't make him start over. Just cover the bottom with more mesh. That way you can also move it around to keep from having a bare spot in the lawn. I personally don't like to make chickens stand on wire but others seem to do it all the time.

Dogs are as much a threat as mongoose and dogs will tear through chicken wire. Maybe you have a fenced-in yard though.

I'd cover part of the roof with plastic or plywood to give the birds a shelter from the rain and sun. Also, use a wider piece of lumber for the perch and put it under.the sheltered part.

Last edited:
I’m on Oahu. I just got a stray hen and bought a bantam so she’d have a friend. My husband just built a coop and run for them, but now I’m wondering if it will keep mongooses out. It’s got 1” chicken wire on sides and top, but the bottom is open so they can scratch around. Can a mongoose fit through the 1” wire? Do I need to put wire on the bottom so a mongoose won’t dig under? Will an electric wire around the bottom work to keep them out?
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but did the chicken wire work? I'm on Molokai and trying to set up a coop and 1in chicken wire is much cheaper than hardware cloth. If I dug down around the perimeter and just did the hardware cloth 1 ft down around the base, do you think that would work?

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but did the chicken wire work? I'm on Molokai and trying to set up a coop and 1in chicken wire is much cheaper than hardware cloth. If I dug down around the perimeter and just did the hardware cloth 1 ft down around the base, do you think that would work?
I am on Big Island and am looking to do an apron and the first 4' of height to be 1/4" hardware cloth, then switching to 1/2" to save on cost. Did you try chicken wire?

I am on Big Island and am looking to do an apron and the first 4' of height to be 1/4" hardware cloth, then switching to 1/2" to save on cost. Did you try chicken wire?
Hi, did you do this and did it work for you? I’m also on the big island and have a mongoose problem. I was thinking of doing 4 ft hardware cloth with hot wire too and bottom, plus an apron. But I’m worried about the mongoose climbing over.. I’ve never seen a mongoose climb hardware cloth but I don’t know if they can

Hi, did you do this and did it work for you? I’m also on the big island and have a mongoose problem. I was thinking of doing 4 ft hardware cloth with hot wire too and bottom, plus an apron. But I’m worried about the mongoose climbing over.. I’ve never seen a mongoose climb hardware cloth but I don’t know if they can
I used a hodge podge of hardware cloth and left over chicken wire from another build. I have yet to have anything dig around or in the mulch I buried it in.
For yours, a hot wire might work, though I'd wonder how they perform in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom