Keeping more than one breed together

Amanda G

Hatching
Mar 22, 2017
I have seen people with multiple types of chickens have them all together but is that really a good idea? I have Brahma chicks coming but I thought about getting other types also would it be best for them to keep separate?

I think that unless one is talking about mixing silkies with other breeds, then its usually fine (and many peeps keep silkies as part of a mixed flock, I should add). I think that management style and space are issues that should be considered more important. The smaller the coop / run then the more likely the potential for bullying / antagonism (but thats not necessarily breed dependent either).

I have a bantam that is 2nd in the pecking order of 15 birds.

I've had 6 different breeds together w no issues, but, they are all the same general size....no 2 alike and I don't think they even realize they are different.
People do keep bantams w large breeds I haven't tried yet but hope to....the above post is excellent advice.

Sorry CTken I just seen your post. Thank you I just didn't know if fighting and mix breeding would be a problem. How many roosters can be together?

Sorry CTken I just seen your post. Thank you I just didn't know if fighting and mix breeding would be a problem. How many roosters can be together?

Having more than one cock bird can be problematic in terms of fighting. The question is - why have multiple cock birds? What is your end game? If you want to breed chickens, then go ahead and choose a cock bird that has the qualities you are looking for - either in terms of breed or a good laying breed / heavy breed for meat or a good dual purpose breed. You need only set eggs from those laid by specific hens that would similarly meet your breeding goals. Personally, I would not keep more than one cock bird, at least until you have some experience under your belt. Any cock bird, if not managed correctly, can be a real PITA. Your flock will be very happy without one.

Back
Top Bottom