Keeping my ducks for the winter

Oh goodness, how funny - at least your story has a happy ending! :)

Yes thank goodness, I didn't tell you the whole story, actually only 2 of the girls followed Ernie down to the river, the other one was sitting on 10 eggs, but when i couldn't get the 2 home i got stupid and put the one in a dog harness and carried her down to the river well she wemnt in the water and out of the harness so now i have 3 ducks down there and 10 eggs with no one to sit on them, I frantically carried the eggs up stairs in a basket lined with towels put a desk lamp over them and misted them all through the night, next morning when I see Ernie coming up with the girls in tow I grab the basket of eggs put them into the nest, well Shirley walks in and goes and gets on her eggs just like she had only been gone a few minutes. and believe it or not all 10 hatched about 2 weeks later. lol Needless to say dog harness are not made for ducks with out shoulders.
lol.png

Yes thank goodness, I didn't tell you the whole story, actually only 2 of the girls followed Ernie down to the river, the other one was sitting on 10 eggs, but when i couldn't get the 2 home i got stupid and put the one in a dog harness and carried her down to the river well she wemnt in the water and out of the harness so now i have 3 ducks down there and 10 eggs with no one to sit on them, I frantically carried the eggs up stairs in a basket lined with towels put a desk lamp over them and misted them all through the night, next morning when I see Ernie coming up with the girls in tow I grab the basket of eggs put them into the nest, well Shirley walks in and goes and gets on her eggs just like she had only been gone a few minutes. and believe it or not all 10 hatched about 2 weeks later. lol Needless to say dog harness are not made for ducks with out shoulders.
lol.png
OMG, that is hilarious and amazing! Good job being a momma duck for the night!
wink.png
That sounds like something I would do though, send one in to get the others and lose that one too, haha.
I made a diaper harness that could probably be used as a walking harness, if you wanted to make one to have around just in case. It's a loop that goes over their head and has a strap attached to it at the back of the neck that goes down their back, and the loop joins together into a wide strap front and goes down their chest and widens around their rear end, and the widened part has a tail-shaped point sewn at the end and then wraps around to the top and velcros together and has another velcro on top that the neck strap attaches to to hold it in place. I swear it's not as complicated as it sounds, lol, and my pretty Roxy girl wore it for a few hours one day before she started to get annoyed with it.

Last edited:
wink.png
That sounds like something I would do though, send one in to get the others and lose that one too, haha.
I made a diaper harness that could probably be used as a walking harness, if you wanted to make one to have around just in case. It's a loop that goes over their head and has a strap attached to it at the back of the neck that goes down their back, and the loop joins together into a wide strap front and goes down their chest and widens around their rear end, and the widened part has a tail-shaped point sewn at the end and then wraps around to the top and velcros together and has another velcro on top that the neck strap attaches to to hold it in place. I swear it's not as complicated as it sounds, lol, and my pretty Roxy girl wore it for a few hours one day before she started to get annoyed with it.

Aww, Roxy sure is pretty! Nothin' cuter than a runner duck smiling!
love.gif

wink.png
She is beautiful, but since I don't sew and don't own a sewing machine I'll just try my best to keep them home, actually this all happened about 9 yrs ago and since then none have gone to the river, whew, thank goodness.

She is beautiful, but since I don't sew and don't own a sewing machine I'll just try my best to keep them home, actually this all happened about 9 yrs ago and since then none have gone to the river, whew, thank goodness.
I think they kind of know where they are safe and loved. Mine never really venture far away either.

Back
Top Bottom