Keeping Nesting Box clean?

Since you have two apple trees in there, they should have a lot of room outside, kind of blows that theory. Still, do you know which chickens are staying in the nest long enough to poop? I'm leaning more to an amorous cockerel.
Nope, although I'm leaning towards 1 of the 3 BLR Wyandottes(Profile pic) as those jerks love making a mess of everything I clean.
Mr Frizz doesn't really hang around his flock that much and the only time he does, is when he is either eating or attempting to breed his favorite pullet(Even though she kicks his butt whenever he tries)

So weird since you close the box off at night that someone would poop during the day. It would be a hard puzzle if it were my problem. Young girls about to lay do very confusing things I believe because they’re confused themselves. You say you close the boxes do you have time to watch when you go to open them. I’m trying to visualize. Maybe the young girls are perching and pooping as they investigate and when a hen comes to lay they move. Sorry don’t have a solution. Maybe adjust your perch or just wait it out till they lay.

So weird since you close the box off at night that someone would poop during the day. It would be a hard puzzle if it were my problem. Young girls about to lay do very confusing things I believe because they’re confused themselves. You say you close the boxes do you have time to watch when you go to open them. I’m trying to visualize. Maybe the young girls are perching and pooping as they investigate and when a hen comes to lay they move. Sorry don’t have a solution. Maybe adjust your perch or just wait it out till they lay.
Today it was opened up early as the girls decided it was time to wake up at 4 AM. I sat out there for as long as I could before I needed come back inside for a cup of coffee. Usually it gets opened up around 7AM or 8AM when I would normally wake up.
It's currently 7:23AM here. The usual time I open the box up.

It is 'baby' poops or the larger layer poops?
Should be able to tell the diff.
Could the younger birds sheltering in there.....
...or could be a layer with a faulty 'two way door' who poops when she lays(I have a couple of those).
Poops happen.
X2....source (immatures vs layers) is step 1. That will help guide the "fix". Faulty shut off flappers in the vent *can* indicate issues such as internal paradise load

It is 'baby' poops or the larger layer poops?
Should be able to tell the diff.
Could the younger birds sheltering in there.....
...or could be a layer with a faulty 'two way door' who poops when she lays(I have a couple of those).
Poops happen.

It's actually in between, like not small and yet not big. That's why I can't tell.
I just know it isn't Mr Frizz as he has tiny poops :gig

I use sand in my boxes and every day use a kind of sifter and remove any poo or debris that the hens have dragged in. Usually they would get it stuck to their feet and it would fall off while they were scratching around getting their nests perfect. The sand doesn't deter them from laying in the boxes and they have more trouble kicking it out of the boxes so it's been ages since I got a broken egg. I have four hens and four boxes and every day they pile into the same box and lay eggs it's so goofy. That said I think it's still best to have one box per three hens, just so they still have the option.
Only sand, or is the sand covered with a layer of straw? I like the idea of being able to sift through the sand to clean the boxes, but I would've thought the chickens would want to peck at it as they do grit or gravel. ???? (I'm a newbie, so I'm questioning this because I've never heard of using sand.)

Only sand, or is the sand covered with a layer of straw? I like the idea of being able to sift through the sand to clean the boxes, but I would've thought the chickens would want to peck at it as they do grit or gravel. ???? (I'm a newbie, so I'm questioning this because I've never heard of using sand.)

Yes I use 100% sand in nesting boxes , easy to clean , doesn’t get kicked out ! I tried straw, shavings , expensive grass pads, carpet and this is the way to go .

This is interesting I too have poops in my nesting boxes but there are no eggs, I inter grated two flocks and I know the rir are scared of the others . I need to add hiding places somehow.....

Back
Top Bottom