Keeping one turkey hen with chickens?

What are your thoughts?
I say do it!!

Once you get one (or two) turkeys, you will become a turkey addict.

When they don’t get along with your chickens you will build them a pen of their own.

Then you will build more pens so you can have more turkeys.

Then you will consider getting rid of your chickens so you can use their space for turkeys. (You will not)

Then you will get tired of all the turkey shenanigans and sell them all. (YRMV)

Then you will miss having turkeys and you will buy more.

It might not be a good idea to put 1 turkey in with your chickens, but I say do it!

😂

I say do it!!

When they don’t get along with your chickens you will build them a pen of their own.

Then you will consider getting rid of your chickens so you can use their space for turkeys. (You will not)

It might not be a good idea to put 1 turkey in with your chickens, but I say do it!

😂
Thanks! I might try it!

I say do it!!

😂
The question was not if it is possible to keep a turkey with chickens. The question was if the turkey will protect the chickens. Turkeys will not protect chickens.

The question was not if it is possible to keep a turkey with chickens. The question was if the turkey will protect the chickens. Turkeys will not protect chickens.
Lol, true, but my brain only zeroed in on “what are your thoughts?”

Plus, the reason I got my first 2 poults was to protect my chickens. I had just experienced my first loss (to a hawk). I looked up how to protect chickens from hawks, and there were a lot of unwieldy methods suggested. My favorite was one guy’s photo of a tom strutting and he had said there were no more hawk attacks since he got the turkey. Well that may have been true when he posted that, but I betcha that he eventually did get hawk attacks in spite of the guard turkey.

Anyway, I didn’t know better, but I didn’t really need much encouragement to start turkey shopping. 😂 I did find that (when they grew up) whenever hawks would land on my fence and survey my flock, the turkeys would march up to the fence and the hawks would fly off.

Of course, there have also been times when I found a hawk on the ground eating a chicken, and the turkeys didn’t prevent it. So yeah.

I do, however, like how the turkeys are much more alert to tiny little specks way up high in the sky and will make their little alarm noise. I think they are worthwhile as a surveillance system.

Ok. Thanks everybody! How would a few guineas do? Could they live with chickens? Would they go to the coop at night?
Guineas will do exactly what you don't want them to do! LOL they may or may not decide to roost in the coop, but the best chance of getting them to will be a very high roost in there so they feel safe. (They like the high ups) And it will be easter every day b/c they work very hard to hide their eggs! I had 8 of them some time ago (more like 15 years ago), they had 4 acres to roam and still felt it necessary to wander to the neighbors and roost in their trees! On the plus, you'll never be bored watching their antics!

Guineas will do exactly what you don't want them to do! LOL they may or may not decide to roost in the coop, but the best chance of getting them to will be a very high roost in there so they feel safe. (They like the high ups) And it will be easter every day b/c they work very hard to hide their eggs! I had 8 of them some time ago (more like 15 years ago), they had 4 acres to roam and still felt it necessary to wander to the neighbors and roost in their trees! On the plus, you'll never be bored watching their antics!
Ok, thanks 🤣 I'm going to get a turkey hen next week!

Back
Top Bottom