Keeping one turkey hen with chickens?

Silkie2299781

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
So I'm wondering if i can get a turkey hen to add to my flock of 27 hens and 4 roosters, for one to hatch eggs for me, but mainly to protect my chickens since my roosters do not do there job very well (well, at all).

What are your thoughts?

TIA!

I know multiple people who have kept 1 turkey with 20 chickens. I do recommend having at least 2 but if you only can have 1 than thats fine.
This will probably start an argument but I'm not intending to do so nor baiting for a troll.
You hear alot of people on this site and other sites, claim they know (second hand) of people keeping various birds of different species in the same pen or a community enclosure.
What you never hear is that those birds died, either from aggression or disease.
The simple fact of the matter is, unless you're an expert on every aspect of the different birds your 'throwing' into a community type enclosure, it is better not to do so....if you don't have enough space, funds to house them in seperate enclosures, then it would be best not to entertain the idea.

Not trying to offend or disparage anyone, this is just the plain 'cold hard' facts.

What are your thoughts?
I say do it!!

Once you get one (or two) turkeys, you will become a turkey addict.

When they don’t get along with your chickens you will build them a pen of their own.

Then you will build more pens so you can have more turkeys.

Then you will consider getting rid of your chickens so you can use their space for turkeys. (You will not)

Then you will get tired of all the turkey shenanigans and sell them all. (YRMV)

Then you will miss having turkeys and you will buy more.

It might not be a good idea to put 1 turkey in with your chickens, but I say do it!

😂

So I'm wondering if i can get a turkey hen to add to my flock of 27 hens and 4 roosters, for one to hatch eggs for me, but mainly to protect my chickens since my roosters do not do there job very well (well, at all).

What are your thoughts?

TIA!
Turkeys are very sociable and should be with other turkeys.

A turkey hen added to a flock of chickens may end up attacking the chickens but it certainly isn't going to protect them.

Ok. Thanks everybody! How would a few guineas do? Could they live with chickens? Would they go to the coop at night?
Guineas also will not protect chickens. If raised with chickens they lose the ability to understand that the chickens are not guineas and end up attacking the chickens and causing them severe stress.

Guineas are a flock bird and need around at least 10 to have proper flock dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom