Keeping out Coyotes

SuperChickRuth

Chirping
Feb 11, 2016
Just yesterday something got our best layer. All we found was a bunch of feathers, rather spread out, but no body or remnants. We think she was nabbed around 5:30 pm. Does that sound like a coyote's work?

We are considering putting in coyote rollers- has anyone had any experience with those? Basically, are they effective?

Any advise or ideas are welcome!!! Thanks!

~SuperChickRuth

It can be almost anything, Hawk, Coyote, Fox, Raccoon, or Weasel. The Rollers look good, but I don't think the coyote would be able to get in and out that easily and noiselessly anyway. Are there any openings in your fence? Are there Hawks or other birds of prey in your area?

Were the feathers under any bushes or short brush? If not it may be a hawk.

Raccoons actually work at night so they might be out of the question.

My advice would be to sit somewhere hidden, but where you can watch you flock, and have a loaded gun.

We're in Southern California, and she was a full grown hen, so I'm doubting it was a hawk. I don't think it was an owl, neither, but we do have a bunch of Barn Owls and a couple Great Horned Owls. Like I said, we haven't found the body, so I'm guessing it was carried off. Which makes me think it was something bigger than a weasel.

I've seen rabbits dashing under the fence, so there are some holes.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Then it could of been a fox. They are very sneaky, and many times are not scared of your presence. They can dig fast and are good at hiding.

However, do be aware that if it is a bird, do not shoot at it. It is a federal offense.

Just saw your post, the feathers are spread out in a grassy "clearing" you might say, and I recognized her tail feathers, and her back feathers.

It was a quick attack, because I saw her around 5:00, for sure, then I heard the other hens clucking anxiously at 5:30. Then a little bit later we found the feathers.

So you think whatever it was that took my hen is coming back? I'm thinking I shouldn't let the other girls free range today then. What would be a safe time to let them out, like how many days later?

And just saw your most recent post, do we have foxes in Southern California???

And yeah, I wouldn't shoot a bird. I have a hard time thinking about shooting anything, even if it is taking my chickens.

Last edited:
Oh! You're right! We do have foxes! I'd never though of suspecting them. Would they jump a 6 foot fence?

A little bit ago, we had a chicken taken by something, but found the body (what was left of it) at the bottom of our property, right by the fence. Just a side note.

Since it got away scot free, whatever it is most likely will come back. As for a safe time, I am not sure, unless the beast is killed.

It would make sense if it was a fox, since it is not that easy for them to kill due to their small mouths. But stay with your flock or where you can view them. But as I said, foxes are not scared. On several occasions both the flock and I were surprised by a fox.

Back
Top Bottom