Keeping Pen clean

Quote:
I have it written down.
wink.png

Part of what helps keep animals warm in bedding is air space. Sand would not have as much, even a coarser grain. It is a challenge, thinking about all the things we want bedding to do, then finding something that does all that, and doesn't cost a bundle.

I think our level of management plays a larger part than we discuss. Some of us can only deal with pens and critters once or twice a day, some of us work close enough to or in the homeplace and can pop out for twenty minutes a few times a day, and so forth.

Now here might be a dangerous idea so please note I am asking a question, not making a suggestion. Gardeners bury specially made heating coils in sand for their cold frames sometimes. Is there a safe way to do something like that for a duck shelter? Have sand bedding so the solids can be easily scraped out, but with some source of heat several inches underneath? Could be the worst idea ever, or we may find someone doing it, safely and successfully.

That is an interesting idea Amiga. I bet there is a way, might be costly, but I am sure it could be done.

I agree, sand will not keep them warm. Bedding should be provided in their sleeping area and changed when soiled. LOL, that would be nice though if it did!
smile.png

possibly a heating mat that is used for reptiles but they don't make them that large.

Back
Top Bottom