Keeping pigeons together?

Kleonaptra

Songster
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Western Sydney, Australia
I have a common feral pigeon male and an indian fantail female. They have one offspring full grown who is male. The pair are together in a large cage, the offspring in a smaller seperate cage. Im building a large coop and intend to buy another female and put them all in together.

Im worried Father Pige will be too agressive - his son is rather mild mannered. Should I buy 2 females making a total of 3 females to 2 males?

Would junior breed his mother? She has stopped laying eggs after having him so I dont think this is a big issue any longer. Im more worried about the boys fighting. Its a large space about 6ft by 12ft and nearly 6ft high, its an old corrugated iron lean to that Im converting.

Any advice is welcome. They are just pets that I want to make happy and comfortable, I cant wait to see them flying around in their new coop.

No, pigeons usually mate for life and I'd only get one female for the son. They'll figure out their space. There will always be a dominant male.

Really? I did not know that. My father pige is still very interested in me, he bonded to me before I got him his companion, and he and the son do magnificent displays to get my attention, thats why I thought he might covet the new female, or at least beat up the younger.

I planned to put younger boy and his mate in the coop first so it was 'their space' and then the older ones a day or so later.

Really? I did not know that. My father pige is still very interested in me, he bonded to me before I got him his companion, and he and the son do magnificent displays to get my attention, thats why I thought he might covet the new female, or at least beat up the younger.

I planned to put younger boy and his mate in the coop first so it was 'their space' and then the older ones a day or so later.
I would put them all in at the same time.. that way its new to them all.. and they will be busy exploring rather than fighting over the best places to nest.

Put up several nesting boxes - all at the same height.. and spaced apart. Then they won't try to fight over one.

Also put in 2 feed, and water areas.. so one pair will not dominate them and stop the other eating.

Once you get more babies and more pigeons then they will form a flock and have a pecking order and it will be much calmer and easier for the pigeons to mix together and no single one will be getting singles out.

Can you post some photos? Always interested to see a new pigeon coop!

I agree with Jac 100% put them in together,when the young pigeon is almost weaned the hen will lay again if weather permits.i have a feeder that feeds up to 30 at a time,wooden dowels desperate each bird,when you leave the nest I provide a deepest feeder and waterer for the younger to have their own space.

I would put them all in at the same time.. that way its new to them all.. and they will be busy exploring rather than fighting over the best places to nest.

Put up several nesting boxes - all at the same height.. and spaced apart. Then they won't try to fight over one.

Also put in 2 feed, and water areas.. so one pair will not dominate them and stop the other eating.

Once you get more babies and more pigeons then they will form a flock and have a pecking order and it will be much calmer and easier for the pigeons to mix together and no single one will be getting singles out.

Can you post some photos? Always interested to see a new pigeon coop!

I'll take some pics this afternoon. Its all finished except I want to put an extra layer of wire on the front. I had some help with it and its very pretty!

I agree with Jac 100% put them in together,when the young pigeon is almost weaned the hen will lay again if weather permits.i have a feeder that feeds up to 30 at a time,wooden dowels desperate each bird,when you leave the nest I provide a deepest feeder and waterer for the younger to have their own space.

Young pige is weaned - he was born last November. He is the only successful offspring from this pair. For the first 5 years I thought they were infertile. Then they had this fella, and I thought he wouldnt survive. I got a little surprise every day when he was still going. Once he was out of their cage, I thought 'ok, now they know how to do it, they are going to breed like crazy' but the female went back to sitting on the eggs too hard and breaking them on her chest, father pige went back to throwing them out, and I got so sick of cleaning up half formed squab and broken egg I started stealing their eggs again. They still mate but she has stopped laying. I named their baby 'Miracle Mike' because I have no idea how he managed to survive!

Coop pics

From the front

Showing the nesting areas on the right hand wall

Showing the luxourios window perching area!

Bathing area

General view of interior.

Im still toying with how to set it up but I do intend two eating and drinking areas - most likely one on the floor and one on the window.

Sometimes parents will have trouble laying eggs or may destroy the eggs if they're low on minerals such as calcium or become egg bound and die, but I would give them some probiotics with the vitamins in their water at least three times a week to help build that up and a source of gritt,oyster shell and a good combination of feed with at least 16% protein,I have only seen eggs get broken is when another birds enters the nest and a fight pursues or the parent young return and an egg gets broken,you have plenty of room for more pairs of pigeons,I would recommend old German owls,they are beautiful and great parents and also classic old frills,they to are a great choice. Myself I have had a great breeding season and will have to thin my loft this fall!

Back
Top Bottom