Keeping possum away from backyard

I agree with everyone here, although it's conflicting advice. You're in a tough dilemma. Opossums are marvelous creatures and it's always a good idea to respect and protect wild animals whose habitat is being destroyed. They are also beneficial animals, just like every wild animal.

That said, it also doesn't seem fair that you need to take your dogs out on leashes in your own backyard. Opossums don't usually stay in one place too long, although that time may be longer in winter, so the issue may resolve itself in the spring. You might want to contact your local animal control to see if you could trap the animal and relocate it, although I don't know what it's chances of survival could be. They are really easy to trap.

x2 the others who say that opossums will attack and eat chickens. It sounds like your coop is predator-proof, which is great. We've had opossums kill our chickens in the past until we found where it was squeezing through the run.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I agree with everyone here, although it's conflicting advice. You're in a tough dilemma. Opossums are marvelous creatures and it's always a good idea to respect and protect wild animals whose habitat is being destroyed. They are also beneficial animals, just like every wild animal.

That said, it also doesn't seem fair that you need to take your dogs out on leashes in your own backyard. Opossums don't usually stay in one place too long, although that time may be longer in winter, so the issue may resolve itself in the spring. You might want to contact your local animal control to see if you could trap the animal and relocate it, although I don't know what it's chances of survival could be. They are really easy to trap.

x2 the others who say that opossums will attack and eat chickens. It sounds like your coop is predator-proof, which is great. We've had opossums kill our chickens in the past until we found where it was squeezing through the run.

Good luck and keep us posted!
We’ve always had possums hang around as we live in front or a large wooded field and definitely don’t want to kill him as he has just as much right to be there as we do. That being said I do know he could kill our chickens if given the opportunity so we make sure to do a head count when we lock them up every night.

With the dogs it’s hard but they get to run around all day and usually only go out once or twice at night to pee. It’s hardest on our hound because she likes to patrol.

We’re probably just going to keep picking up the chicken food and hoping he moves on soon but if he doesn’t then it’s really not that huge of a deal 🤷‍♀️

The problem with possums is sometimes they won't leave, and want to stay around hoping to get a chicken dinner. I have had one large one hanging around for the past two months. Until today, when he unfortunately caught a bad case of lead poisoning, while attempting to get into our brooder coop full of 4 week old chicks. Even had him on security camera getting shocked on the electric fence. None of our motion lights fazed him, and he figured out a way to use the live oak to drop over the hot wires. I love and respect wildlife, but I will defend our critters every time.

Is there a way to discourage a possum from coming into my yard?

We've noticed a huge possum on our fence and in our yard the past few months. Our dogs actually got ahold of him once but he survived to tell the tale but I thought that would be enough to keep him away. Apparently not. I'm not overly concerned about him getting the chickens because even though their run isn't predator proof their coop is and they're locked up tight every night but he's causing other issues. It's gotten to the point where we don't feel comfortable letting the dogs into the yard off-leash after dark because he could be hiding somewhere and they might get ahold of him again.

We don't leave the chicken feed or eggs out overnight and don't really know what else we can do. Any advice is appreciated!
Same situation

Back
Top Bottom