Keeping poultry cool

Tinkey71

Songster
Nov 8, 2018
Florida
i know there was a lot of discussion here about a month ago about how to keep chickens warm with temps up north having dropped really low.
Now I’m asking about the other end since I live in Florida and it’s already warming up a lot. What are some ways to keep my chickens and ducks cool besides providing water? And also what are ways people control flies and bugs around the coop?

I'm in subtropical Queensland & we've had a scorcher of a summer. Freeze some plastic bottles full of water & add those to their water [ice cubes if you don't have a water trough]. Frozen bottles in the coop also help to cool & deter mozzies. Frozen treats or things like berries frozen in ice cubes. I plan on growing these natural repellants around my new coop for next years mozzie invasion: citronella, lemon balm,catnip, marigolds, basil, lavender, peppermint, garlic, pennyroyal, rosemary & geraniums. I urge caution with this next one ~ like you can't leave one burning in the coop or leave it too long ~ but before lock up I wave a mozzie coil around then immediately add my frozen water bottle which deters the mozzies briefly & gives the girls a chance to settle unbothered. I'm just not sure about the smell so it is quite literally a quick wave & gone & I give the coop a chance to air before the girls go up. Some people use misters or fans. I can't do that so I hose down my coop & a patch of soil in the shadiest part of the run. The girls love it!

Deep all day shade would be number one.
Cool water is good...not sure ice water in any quantity is good tho.
Have seen a bird get 'brain freeze' after guzzling ice water.

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves., it really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Works way better than small ice cubes.
upload_2019-3-4_8-27-21.png

Make room in your freezer:
upload_2019-3-4_8-27-44.png

Back
Top Bottom