keeping rabbits with chickens

Jbusch

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
Hey, so we are thinking of getting a bunny from one of our friends who can't take care of it anymore. We want to put it into our chicken run with our chickens, but I'm worried it might get sick or make the chickens sick. Also, since it is about a year and a half and my chickens are a year old, will they get along? I was also wondering if I should just put a hutch into the run where it could sleep in because the coop only has space underneath the perches and I am scared it'll be too much poop and make it sick. Please help!

Please keep the rabbit indoors. They should not be kept outside, as they can die very easily from getting too hot, or even from getting scared by some other animal.
Rabbits can easily be litter box trained, and they are very clean and quiet. They also need companionship, and he will become very attached to you and your family.

I house my rabbits in my chicken coop. They are suspended in cages from the ceiling so they do not actually mingle with the chickens or take up floor space. I use plastic roof panels underneath to direct rabbit waste into bins so it is not falling on chickens.
DSC00053.JPG

What's the point of getting a rabbit to stick in a chicken run? They are more like cats or dogs than chickens and want company. I once saw a newspaper article where a rabbit was kept with chickens, and would actually jump up and uncomfortably sit on things the chickens were perching on, because it so desperately wanted company. How would such a rabbit not get chicken poop all over its feet or GI tract and respiratory problems? Rabbits are ground animals, too. It seems sort of cruel to put them in cages hanging up in the air. This is not to be combative, but I just don't understand the point of it all.

Last edited:
Will this be your first rabbit?

I highly recommend you keep it inside rather than outside, especially in a chicken coop.

Yes, diseases can be spread and the rabbit would likely become quite dirty in a chicken coop. They could also get bugs and parasites. Not to mention the deadly rabbit disease (RHDV2) that is killing both wild and domestic rabbits in many parts of the US and other countries.

Rabbits don't do very well in outdoor environments. And though they will certainly live and many people keep them this way, they do much better indoors. As I'm sure you know, rabbits are prey animals and there are many predators out there that could easily kill them, whether that be by getting into their hutch and eating them or by simply scaring them to death. I know of many rabbits who have died from dogs getting out and wanting to play with them, without even touching the rabbits.

Rabbits do not do well in extreme climates either. Though they can tolerate the cold, they often die of heat stroke in the summer.

Also, hutches rarely provide enough space for a rabbit to get proper exercise and playtime. Most rabbit hutches, despite being so small are very expensive as well. Not to mention unsafe from predators.

Besides it not being safe or having enough space, rabbits can also become very lonely and bored when they're outside all the time. Most rabbits will want to spend time around you. Chickens do not provide the companionship they need. And getting another rabbit is a lot more work, and you'll need to have them both fixed. This would also mean they would have even less space in a hutch.

Like others have mentioned, rabbits are a lot more lile cats or even dogs since they love to be around the people they have bonded with, and they will use a litter box just fine (even better if they're fixed). A lot of people think they are just destructive and smelly, which isn't really true. In my opinion, rabbits are much cleaner, less destructive, and less smelly than cats or dogs are. All you need to do is rabbit proof, provide them with high quality hay, interesting toys, and litter train them.

Instead of keeping them in a cage (which has a lot of the same issues as a hutch, including being way too small and expensive) I recommend using a wire dog playpen. These are much cheaper (often around $30 on Amazon) and provide enough space for all a rabbits nees while still leaving space for exercise and play.

If you don't know much about rabbit care, here's some basic information you'll need to know and some supplies you'll need.

A rabbits diet should consist of fresh unlimited Timothy hay at all times. This makes up 80% of their diet and is very important for digestion and keeping their ever growing teeth down.
In addition to this they should have about a handful of fresh spring mix veggies for breakfast and dinner, along with ¼ a cup of pellets a day.

You'll also need these things

• Hidey houses
  • Toys
  • Treats (avoid pet store treats, tiu can use slices of apple, carrot, or banana along with herbs)
  • Food and water dishes (avoid water bottles, they are hard to clean, don't provide enough water, and are very unnatural for rabbits to drink from.)
  • A brush (though rabbits groom themselves like cats they often ingest too much hair which can block their GI tract, which can cause GI stasis which they can die from in 24 hours.
  • Nail trimmers (you can have the vet do this, but it's good to have on hand)
I think that's about it..

Rabbits make greats pets when properly cared for, and they are very sweet and adorable of course. They take a lot of responsibility though, nd they aren't the right pet for everyone, so I recommend you do your research before deciding. You can check out 101Rabbits and Lennon the bunny on YouTube for more information. The House Rabbit Society is a great resource as well.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'd be glad to help :)

Oh! I remember what I was forgetting now. Litter box training and supplies.

Here's what you'll need
  • A large cat sized litter box (avoid the small coner litter trays, the rabbit should be able to turn all the way around and move comfortably)
  • Paper based litter (avoid cat litter, it has clay which can be fatal if ingested, use paper bedding instead)
  • Lots of hay (rabbits often eat while pooping, so providing lots of fresh hay will entice it to use the litter box)

Put the litter box in the corner of the playpen you see him "using" most.

Clean up any urine that goes outside of the box and put the poop directly into the litter box. Clean up the areas where the pee was with pet safe deodorizing spray.

You'll typically need to clean out the litter box every day or every other day, though it depends on the rabbit. Replace hay regularly to keep it fresh and to keep a good amount in there.

A deep cleaning should be done a few times a month, though again it depends on the individual rabbit.

Back
Top Bottom