Keeping SILKIES warm during the winter

Okay. I was getting nervous. Because here we have very cold winters. I will be grouping them together, so they can snuggle. Im also going to be stacking some hay bales around the coop, to block it from the wind.

So this is my first time keeping chickens, let alone over a cold Wisconsin winter! I got only winter-hardy/cold-hardy birds. My husband was trying to explain to me why Silkies are able to keep warm in winter. He said, well they are covered in puff that helps insulate them. They probably only get really cold in wind or rain. They are basically wearing their own down jacket! We are also getting bantam EE's and Bantam Buff Brahmas. (both are cold hardy I hear)

Now my neighbor who keeps chickens says that if you keep a heat lamp on for the birds just when it is cold, they will not tolerate very cold weather, or fluxuations in temperatures as well as if they heat a coop on their own with body heat. Is this true?

I have a wooden coop that is made of pretty thick wood. No insulation, but could have a heat lamp in there if needed.

Let me know if there are other people out there keeping chickens in Wisconsin or other very cold areas.

Thanks!
Amy

Back
Top Bottom