Keeping the neighbor's chickens out of my yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I had to chime in. I had the same / similar situation. I told my neighbors repeatedly that I did not want their chickens free ranging on my property, I have my own chickens and did not want the flocks or roosters mingling. This went on for a couple of months where I was chastised for being un-neighborly for not allowing their chickens and their children to free range or play in my yard. I eventually called animal control. It worked. I have worked on developing better relations with them and have a better relationship with since they now respect my boundaries.

I had to chime in. I had the same / similar situation. I told my neighbors repeatedly that I did not want their chickens free ranging on my property, I have my own chickens and did not want the flocks or roosters mingling. This went on for a couple of months where I was chastised for being un-neighborly for not allowing their chickens and their children to free range or play in my yard. I eventually called animal control. It worked. I have worked on developing better relations with them and have a better relationship with since they now respect my boundaries.

wow! Interesting that they also thought their kids could play in your yard also. I’m glad that they were open to having better relationship with you.

wow! Interesting that they also thought their kids could play in your yard also. I’m glad that they were open to having better relationship with you.

Something I've learned since moving to Massachusetts years ago is that there are some people who have boundary issues. Apparently it's not uncommon for neighborhood children to cut through yards or just stay and play. I must admit that I am originally a southern girl and was raised to ask permission before entering someone else's property.

There is a fine line between keeping peace and keeping peace of mind-- especially with neighbors! When you own the property and they own theirs, it can become an equivalent to long, drawn out 'road rage' minus cars. 😕
I believe the ultimate question to such a dilemma is-- what IS your own peace worth..? 🤔 Is it best for YOU to have a fence where these people are so that you don't have to deal with them (or their chickens)? Is it worth the anxiety and anger and frustration to keep dealing with them without a set boundary..?
I have been in similar position but it was a nonstop barker who has made me consider monkey blow darts and poison 😒 -- briefly, before I considered the ramifications-- and I can say it is a really uncomfortable place to be. I'm sorry you find yourself there. I hope you are able to figure out the best way for you.

It sounds like you’ve been reasonable. I’d just call the city and let them take care of it. Or get a pellet gun and shoot them as they forage in your yard. Your neighbor sounds inconsiderate and obnoxious. Let the Cory sea with the problem.

Good fences make good neighbors. But a fence doesn't have to be expensive. I have kept hens behind a construction fence before in an emergency. You can get this stuff in green (which isn't so obvious). And for pities sake bill them for your dogs vet bills. Small claims court works well for that.
1599270725153.png

Some of my chickens flew up and OVER the top of the fencing where I also had some netting. Since then I put up 6' stakes to hold the netting straight up and not sag.
You can probably get a chicken-proof fence a lot cheaper than that.

Bird netting or deer netting or chicken wire would be enough to stop the chickens walking through. Those don't require very big posts, either.

Do not put a board at the top to support the netting: the chickens will probably fly up and sit on the board, then come down into your yard.

If you leave the netting floppy at the top, then the chickens will probably NOT come over it.

Chickens usually don't think to fly "over" something. They usually fly "to" a thing (like the top of the fence) and then "to" another thing (like the ground in your yard.)

If you cannot arrange some kind of a fence, you could try a sprinkler with a motion sensor: chickens usually do not like to be squirted with water.

Humane Society might do something, I'm not sure. I can see why you would leave the cops as the last resort.

Maybe offer to build a chicken pen on their property? Potentially cheaper than fencing your own yard, but would not help unless they kept the chickens IN the pen.

Last edited:
I'm stunned that your neighbors would be so inconsiderate. It sounds like you have bent over backwards to settle this amicably. It's time to call the city. If they're violating city ordinances, you are well within your rights to report that violation. (I hope your fur baby is doing better. Do dogs get salmonella?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom