Keeping the water clean

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by El Federico, Jun 2, 2011.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    as long as they can't fall in, and you can keep it full. I have the waterer in the coop. and a feed bucket/pail in the chicken yard. It is only about six inches deep and I dump it and refill it everyday. It is up on pavers too so they won't wade in it.

2. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Songster

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:
    x4 keeps algae down much cleaner [​IMG]

X5

3. Alpha Chick

Alpha Chick Chirping

Jul 11, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    We use a nipple waterer system. We have a hose from our outside house tap to a 5 gallon bucket that is hung in a tree next to the coop. The bucket is fitted with a toilet floater valve to keep the water from overflowing the bucket (turns water off when the level in the bucket is reached). Then we have tubing running from the bucket to nipples, available on Ebay or FarmTek. The nipples are attached inside the coop and in the run. This way the girls always have clean and fresh water. And I love not having to clean dirty waterers or worry that they are out of water when we are away for a few days. We have had this system in place for about a year now and it works really well.

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Songster

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Another option if you have a small flock - I use a large Lixit water bottle as a backup to my plumbed waterer. The girls learned how to use it within minutes, and sometimes I think they prefer it because it does stay cleaner than the other waterer.

5. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Songster

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Quote:x4 keeps algae down much cleaner [​IMG]

X5

That's exactly what I do and from time to time I do add a splash of vinegar. It does seem to keep it clear longer.

6. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chirping

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Because I have moved from raising homing pigeons, I had one of these waterers in my loft. I cut the holes bigger on two sides, set it up on landscaping timbers, and no more dirt. I have 29 chicks and it will last them three days in the hot weather we have been having. I change it at the end of the 2nd day. I will have to get something bigger when they are grown, but this gave me time to figure out what I will do then.

[​IMG]

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Crowing

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I hang them at back level...keeps 'em clean...or set it up on something at back level...now ducks on the other hand.. [​IMG]

8. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    I actually use an automatic dog waterer I got for a buck at a yard sale. I have to get a couple concrete blocks to set it on though. When it's really hot, before I go to bed I'll bring in the water jug, fill it about half way and stick it in the freezer. In the morning I fill it the rest of the way with freshe water. That wa it keeps it cool too.

9. Sweetwater Clyde

Sweetwater Clyde In the Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Clean it out with bleach and a toilet bowl scrubber every other third Saturday.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  10. El Federico

El Federico In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Wow, thanks again guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: