Keeping the Water Clean

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Juise, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    We bought a heated base to set the chicken water on for the winter so it wouldn't freeze, but that means you can't suspend the waterer, and the blasted chickens keep filling it with dirt and straw! I tried setting the entire base on raised blocks, and I am constantly pulling the dirt and straw back from it so that it stays clean longer, but many times I come out to let them out, and the waterer is so chock full of stuff that they don't have any water!

Any ideas?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If your fowl are adults, you might try putting it on top of a concrete block or two. That is what I do for my waterers (not heated though). I know you said you put it up on blocks but I was envisioning bricks and so thought I would mention the larger block.

A concrete block is high enough but not too high. If you have bantams you can put another concrete block for them to step up on next to the waterer one. Make sure the heater doesn't tip over.

3. Juise

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks, they are adults, and I did put the base on 4x4s. I wasn't sure how high I could raise it without it being difficult to get to, but it sounds like I can raise it a bit more. I have 1 Black Star, 2 Isa Browns, and 2 New Hampshire Reds. One of the Isa Browns is, I swear, at least 2/3 the size of her sister, but she's certainly not bantam small.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What is usually recommended is for the feeders and waterers to be at the level of their backs, to give you a guide.

5. Juise

Mar 4, 2011
    Ahh, thank you! Very helpful guideline.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by