Keeping the wild birds out the feed

Oh my chickens

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
About every three days I am having to refill the feeder. I got the squirrels out by adding some cayenne pepper to it but I can’t keep the doves and pigeons out. I have plastic hanging from the coop door but that does not deter them. Short of moving the feed inside until dusk. They eat all day long and would hate for them to go hungry. I am not sure what else to do. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Unless you keep your birds in a run that cannot be accessed by wildlife you will be feeding the wild birds and critters.

Our birds free range all day and they get fed a snack in the morning (and I have to stand there until they've cleaned it up because of the local flock of sparrows), then at night they get their big feed and I make sure there's enough that they have some left over to eat in the morning until I let them out. Other than that they have to find their food as they forage because the wild birds would eat more than they would.

Unless you keep your birds in a run that cannot be accessed by wildlife you will be feeding the wild birds and critters.

Our birds free range all day and they get fed a snack in the morning (and I have to stand there until they've cleaned it up because of the local flock of sparrows), then at night they get their big feed and I make sure there's enough that they have some left over to eat in the morning until I let them out. Other than that they have to find their food as they forage because the wild birds would eat more than they would.
They are free ranging all day. There is grass and bugs for days in my backyard so I know they won’t be super hungry. They do get a snack about mid morning. I may just have to keep their feed inside until they go up for the night. I have have a bag of feed left and it was a 50lb bag. I’m so tired of feeding the wild visitors.

Back
Top Bottom