Keeping water clean

Anyone have a resolution for hens perching on watering cans and pooping in the water? I have been using the galvanized watering containers through the winter but they roost on them and the drinking trough is constantly needing cleaned out. Suggestions appreciated!
You can buy cones that fit most types of waterers.

anti roost cone for chicken feeder

Or you might be able to DIY/hack something that would work.

This is how I keep mine from roosting on waterer, board wire hinged to HC wall.
1643228843822.png

We have a 5 gallon bucket with HN. But to fill it and the feeder we use one gallon pitchers. The bucket moves once a year when we rinse it out.

My well water grows slime so I have to rinse my waterers regularly.

Also, my flock is large enough to empty the waterers in just a few days so I need full refills rather than top-offs. :)

We also have a raised coop, so the 5 gallon bucket fits under the coop. It is set on a cinder block. Topping off the water and feeder regularly also allows for status checks. The bucket is full and unfrozen. The temp 7am was 4F.

Attachments

• 1643286820192.png
    1643286820192.png
    696.1 KB · Views: 4
If you don't want to go to a horizontal nipple waterer, you might be able to find an anti-roost cover that fits your waterer.

I used the traffic cone for children's soccer practice as anti-roost cover on the top of my home made PVC feeder. Maybe you can use the feed bag to make a flimsy "tall hat" on the waterer ....

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.35.38 AM.png

We also have a raised coop, so the 5 gallon bucket fits under the coop. It is set on a cinder block. Topping off the water and feeder regularly also allows for status checks. The bucket is full and unfrozen. The temp 7am was 4F.
Excellent idea! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom