Keeping water from freezing in the winter

what we use to keep water from freezing is an electric unit.
It looks like a very large , inverted cake pan. The heating coils are on the inside, underneath of the warmed platform.
It came to us secondhand without a matching water dish.
I use a Pyrex glass 9x13 baking dish which tends to last 10 birds the day, but there could be a better suited water dish.
Absolutely loving the electric water- warming platform.
Did not know such things existed until his year- what a difference it makes.

hello everyone! I have been raising chickens for almost 5 years now and I’ve always struggled with keeping the flock’s water from constantly freezing. And I have a feeling I’m not the only one who struggles with this! I’ve tried different methods like using a ping pong ball, and putting a bottle of salt water inside the water, but both have failed to work for me. I’ve recently moved from Colorado to Vermont and now the winters are even colder then before. Does anyone have any tips or methods that have worked for them? I’d love to hear! Thanks in advence!
Well I see you live in a cold place, sadly I don’t have any idea how to make the water not freeze, but if you can, you can try to take the chickens to free range for a little bit, and get some warm water from inside and bring it to them outside. Hope this Helps! :)

Update on the hand warmers trick: it worked fine in the mid to upper 20s (F). It didn't keep the water from freezing, but it bought me a few more hours before swapping waterers. As soon as we hit the low 20s, everything froze. Teens, it froze faster. I have a small heated bowl on the way via Amazon as we are expecting single digits later in the week.

Stock tank heaters use a lot of power in my opinion. We use a heated nipple waterer purchased from a big box farm store. It only uses 40 watts and keeps 3 gallons thawed. The power savings is well worth the initial expense of about $30.

I bought an electrick waterer (no nipples just a lip all around ) cost me 80$ canadian. we have had -35 to -45 CELCIUS the past.month (poor girls) and the coop gets to be around -20 °C during that time and the water never froze!! yay!! it works sooo well i love it i thought it wouldnt be able.to withstand ontarios insane temps but it hasnt deceived me once yet!

Heated dog bowl work ($20.00 @ TSC). I have a heated chicken waterer ($40.00). If I had to do it over, I would do the heated dog bowl. We don't get cold weather for very long.

I have heated dog bowl and chickens knock it over. So I turned it upside down and put fountain on it. Only works to 20 degrees F and supposed to work to -20. I take water out 3x day fresh so not frozen. If they want food/water. Will eat/drink quickly in 20 minutes. Frozen in couple hours as hit -18 here with windchill. By Super Bowl back up to 60 degrees F. Bowl probably not for far north. I would get a good heated waterer with nipples on it.

I bought an electrick waterer (no nipples just a lip all around ) cost me 80$ canadian. we have had -35 to -45 CELCIUS the past.month (poor girls) and the coop gets to be around -20 °C during that time and the water never froze!! yay!! it works sooo well i love it i thought it wouldnt be able.to withstand ontarios insane temps but it hasnt deceived me once yet!

Have link?

Stock tank heaters use a lot of power in my opinion. We use a heated nipple waterer purchased from a big box farm store. It only uses 40 watts and keeps 3 gallons thawed. The power savings is well worth the initial expense of about $30.
The only way to know just how much power a heater is using is to track the power usage using something like a Kill-A-Watt.
Most have thermostats so they don't run continuously,
thus you can't go just by the wattage on the heating device.

Back
Top Bottom