Keeping water from freezing in the winter

This is a GREAT idea! How are you holding your bin up? Horizontal nipples? I’m assuming it’s on the ground and you’ve got the nipples out the sides? I’d like to use this idea! Very clever.
I had an footstool from a living room chair that I wasn't using as a footstool. It's a metal frame with an upholstered top. It's the perfect height for the tote to sit on. The footstool raises the nipples up to where the chickens can get drinks. The nipples are about 2 inches up from the bottom of the tote. I read somewhere that the water in the very bottom of a container is a bit colder that a couple inches up. Put my nipples up that 2 inches just in case it would help keep the water from freezing. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it to post here.

I had an footstool from a living room chair that I wasn't using as a footstool. It's a metal frame with an upholstered top. It's the perfect height for the tote to sit on. The footstool raises the nipples up to where the chickens can get drinks. The nipples are about 2 inches up from the bottom of the tote. I read somewhere that the water in the very bottom of a container is a bit colder that a couple inches up. Put my nipples up that 2 inches just in case it would help keep the water from freezing. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it to post here.
Great idea!! Tag me when you take some pictures! I do have a good visual though!!

I have been using this with success

Attachments

• BE4DB6A8-ABF7-4624-B72C-237799675FCD.png
    BE4DB6A8-ABF7-4624-B72C-237799675FCD.png
    572.1 KB · Views: 12
I've been mulling this over for, well, a year. Just got my first chickens this spring.

I can't run electric easily, and I only have three hens. They are in the MPC "Clubhouse" so I don't have a ton of room for a big waterer. Normally I use one of those hanging quart waterers. I was planning to swap it out regularly, but I work full-time so that's tough.

I *think* I may have figured something out. Here's my current attempt. A big black rubber feed bowl that holds about 1.5 quarts, with water in it. Inside, a plastic takeout container. Inside of that, water with one of those reusable hand warmers.

Before I leave for work, I snap the metal disc on the hand warmer. It warms the water in the plastic container, which warms the water in the bowl. The chickens can't peck at the hand warmer because it's in the container.

It won't last all day, but it lasts longer than the hanging waterer. We've been fortunate to not have too many below 20 F days so far, so I'll report back. But this just might get me through the short days so that I can go back to swapping waterers.

Yep - I've used the same set for about 3 years running now for football games, hikes, and skiing in the winter. They work great - they don't last as long as the papery/powdery ones, but you can't beat being able to reuse them.

Back
Top Bottom