Keeping water from freezing in the winter

Chewy.com has a 96 oz heated water bowl for less than $14. I am going to order one soon because there will be a few days when we will have to be away from home for the whole day. Right now, we put a one-quart container of very hot water inside our chicken waterer and it keeps the water from freezing for about three hours. Then we go and switch out the waterer. Repeat as needed.

https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-thermal-bowl-pet-bowl/dp/54450

I just bought the Premier1 waterer linked to earlier in this thread.
I had a different plug in plastic one and wasn't all that happy with it but it was available locally.
But my chicken sitter had it break on him and since this is my second one (I cracked the lid on the first one)I decided to order the one from Premier1.
I'm out of town for work quite often so i need one my chicken sitter doesn't have to worry about or mess with.
Living in Alaska it does get cold and I don't want to take chances that their water freezes.
Thought about the light bulb in the metal can for a base but wanted something more dependable.
I also considered putting a bird bath heater in one but from what reviews I read they aren't all that dependable.
Personally I'd rather have something of quality that is purpose built than risk my chickens not get the water they need.

Last edited:
I too have an acre(just over) of property.
My house is on the front 2/3 and my coop is in the back corner.
I had an old dog run cable that was already stretched 80% of the way.
I ran extension cords to the coop and secured the cords to the run cable.
Where the cords connect together I used connection covers that I bought from my hardware store that are weather tight and built for the task.
The bonus is my garden is connected to my coop and run and this also allows me to plug in my electric fencer to keep the moose out of my garden in the summer time.
I have an outdoor rated timer also connected that powers my light in my coop.
This is just what works for me in my situation.

From the outlet on my deck to where I would put the heated bowl is about 125 feet (measured with Google Earth). I will need to use a few extension cords, with cord connection covers as @Kasilofchrisn mentioned.
Getting an order together for Chewy.com---the bowl is only $13.77 now.

Back
Top Bottom