Keeping water in the pen - do I have to?

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
My ducks are only in their pen at night. I let them out to roam the yard early in the morning and lock them up safely at night (they go in on their own after dark). I have a little pool for them to swim/drink out of in the yard, and I also had one in their pen. The pen is total mud; just finished cleaning it and put fresh straw down. Am I ok to not put water in there?

Do they have anything to drink? Animals in general, should never be denied water for any length of time. I understand that ducks are messy, but I'm sure you can rig up a waterer for them that wouldn't be too much of a pain in the butt. Good luck!

Yeah, I'll go fill their tub back up. They are only confined from roughly 11pm until 6:30am and don't seem to be using the water in the pen. The mess is from when I dump it out the side each morning and it runs back in. I think the chickens drink it more than they do but better safe than sorry.

thumbsup.gif

Put a bucket in there, or a dog bowl full of water. Or even use a plastic contanier that you can get pre cooked meals in from the stores - like costco and walmart

Quote:
I like your thinking! I just fed them and filled up the tub though. I know they have to have water if they have feed (well, what's left of it after the chickens eat it all
somad.gif
) I think I need to move the chicken feeder out of the coop and into the yard too. Maybe then they'll eat their own!

Before I built my outside cage that they could stay in over night I put them in a cage in the garage over night..Whe they were babies yes I gave them food and water but they got older no water and food all they did was play in it all night..If your ducks are big I would not put water in there...WHAT A MESS THEY MAKE!!

Last edited:
Yes, my ducks are huge at only 10 weeks! I filled it up and they played in it for a few minutes and now they are all ready for bed. I really think they'd be fine without until early morning so maybe tomorrow I'll see how much fuss they make without. Believe me, they let me know if they aren't happy! I just love my ducks
love.gif

Here's what I do and it helps a LOT

I fill a plastic shoebox-size rubbermaid with water

And then put a wire basket (like this ) upside down on top of it.

The ducks & chickens can reach their necks through to drink, but cannot jump in!

Back
Top Bottom