Keeping Your Coop Warm in the Winter

Sbfitzge

Chirping
Apr 11, 2018
Roanoke, VA
How does everyone manage this? Our chickens have survived the cold without frostbite in the past, but I want them to be comfortable. I've seen mixed information on insulation or using a heat source, like an electric pad. However, I've seen reviews of even the safest heating sources causing fires. That would be terrible, so I want to make sure we are being as safe as possible. What do you do? We're in SW Virginia, so it doesn't get to negative temps or anything, but it still gets cold for birds!

Roosters with big single combs and wattles definitely can have issues with frostbite, especially if the coop isn't well ventilated and gets damp. Heating the coop is tricky, though, and heat lamps, if not very carefully set up, can cause fires. And in a power outage, your birds will have lost their heat, also not good.
Insulating the roof, if it can be managed without giving rodents a nice home, does help with summer sun, and somewhat with winter cold.
Mild frostbite on the comb tips heals pretty fast, and is a minor problem.
Here we don't keep roosters with large single combs and big wattles, and our few single combed hens haven't had frostbite issues in winter.
, with no heat in the coop.
If you decide to use a heat source out there, make sure it's well protected and that the coop is wired safely, it's not possible to be too careful about it!
Mary

It sounds like your new coop will need more ventilation; post sketches if possible. And about insulation; it's nice in the roof, more for summer sun than winter cold, but be very careful about any that you use. Chickens will eat any exposed insulation or insulation board, and rodents love to chew into it and live there.
Keeping the insulation rodent free and safe from the birds and hornets is really hard! We failed here, and had to tear out the wall insulation to defeat the rats and mice, who loved it.
Mary

I live in central va where temps normally stay in 20's at night in winter but spells of time in single digits and I have never had problem. Coops well ventilated and I can feel a little difference in there
I worry more about the summer heat in va. With times where heat index can over 110 at times I've had issues with that

Your new coop, being larger and taller, will already do better in heat! BIG window openings, with hardware cloth, at least on the south and east sides! BIG vented openings up high!
In winter, some of the lower window openings can be covered in clear vinyl, blocking winter winds over the roosting birds, and in summer, all the openings improve the interior.
Mary

How does everyone manage this? Our chickens have survived the cold without frostbite in the past, but I want them to be comfortable. I've seen mixed information on insulation or using a heat source, like an electric pad. However, I've seen reviews of even the safest heating sources causing fires. That would be terrible, so I want to make sure we are being as safe as possible. What do you do? We're in SW Virginia, so it doesn't get to negative temps or anything, but it still gets cold for birds!

How many birds do you have, what size coop for them, do you have good ventilation?

Put clear plastic tarp things over the run or wherever snow can get I. It traps the heat from the sun but also keeps snow out. Try and get and a waterer that heats up or make one and keep that outside and not in the coop if anything happens it wont hurt the chickens and hurt the coop it will be outside.

Back
Top Bottom