Keeping your water from freezing - non toxic solution

594chickens

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2018
I've seen many posts on this topic in general but non that addressed a solution to make is freeze at a lower temperature. A google search brought me ideas of salt and sugar, electrolytes, non toxic antifreeze (Does that even exist?).
But i don't know if electrolytes or sugar+salt are good or bad for the chickens can anyone shed some light?
I dont have the option of refilling the water twice a day and in the northeast it gets cold enough to freeze the water in 20 minutes

EDIT: I forgot to add that I cant bring any electricity to the coop. So i need another option.

Thank you all for responses

Last edited:
The only non toxic solution I'm aware of that you can add to water to keep it from freezing and still keep it safe for your chickens to drink is heat. There are any number of possible ways to do that and have been discussed many, many times here.

Agreed @pintail_drake2004
Stock tank can heaters sink to the bottom so tie cord up so it’s halfway down . Different wattages are available, feed stores have a wide assortment.

A heated dog dish with a bucket of water in it for easy cleaning is an option

The only non toxic solution I'm aware of that you can add to water to keep it from freezing and still keep it safe for your chickens to drink is heat. There are any number of possible ways to do that and have been discussed many, many times here.
I have been searching the site for an hour and have not found info on salt water bottles but I have come across your reply twice.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
There really is no alternative to either heat or swapping them out at least twice a day. Some things will help a little, like a bottle of salt water floating, but not enough for real freezing temperatures. Is there something like a solar outlet you could buy and use with a heated waterer?

Back
Top Bottom