Keet hatched with bulging eye - glaucoma or eyeworm?

SunHwaKwon

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 19, 2015
North Central Florida
How would I know which it is? The eye was so huge when he hatched I thought it was popped out of the socket. Over two days it returned to normal size, then yesterday started swelling again. It has a hazy film over it so I'm sure he is blind in that eye. No doubt it is painful!

I was thinking of treating him with wormer in the eye and then orally, as is suggested on some other threads, just in case it IS eyeworm, but I don't know what the oral dosing would be on a four day old baby around the same size as a bantam chick. He's getting around fine, making it hard for me to get pics lol. I'm going to try to get some now.

ETA: Here are pics from just now. It is about 1/3 of the size it was at hatch. Disappointing since it had gone down to normal size.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect eye worm. They don't hatch with them and unlikely to come from the brooder. Eye worms should be visible with close inspection. It is more likely an incubator issue.
Eye abnormalities come from high temperature and/or low oxygen in the first 6 days of incubation.

I wouldn't expect eye worm. They don't hatch with them and unlikely to come from the brooder. Eye worms should be visible with close inspection. It is more likely an incubator issue.
Eye abnormalities come from high temperature and/or low oxygen in the first 6 days of incubation.

Or perhaps genetic or due to shipping? With 56 eggs in the incubator and this being the only one with this problem, I can't see it being an incubation problem. In any case, any suggestions on treatment?

I did read a thread about a chick hatching with eyeworm, so that is what got me thinking of that.

Or perhaps genetic or due to shipping? With 56 eggs in the incubator and this being the only one with this problem, I can't see it being an incubation problem. In any case, any suggestions on treatment?

I did read a thread about a chick hatching with eyeworm, so that is what got me thinking of that.

Sorry, no suggestion on treatment, not knowing what is wrong.
If it were me, I'd just wait making sure conditions were clean with fresh food, clean water and excellent ventilation and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom