1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keets and chick feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jstlitlome, Apr 11, 2016.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Sorry if this question has been asked. I can't find the answers anywhere, but could be just be me! Lol I hatched 18 chicks Thursday and went and bought 6 guineas Saturday for predator alerts. I've never had guineas but raised 4 batches of chicks. I want them to grow up together so maybe they will all get along. So far, so good!

Question : I just discovered that keets need a higher protein than chicks. They've been on chick starter /grower feed since I got them. Is this ok? . If I switch to turkey game bird will it hurt the chicks?

Thanks in advance!

Leslie

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You'll want to switch to the gamebird starter since the keets really need it. It shouldn't hurt the chicks :)

3. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri

Dang! I have a huge bag of chick starter! [​IMG]

oh well. lol

Thank you so much.

Leslie

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could mix the game bird and chick starter together. Not only would it ease their transition from one feed to another, but it would allow you to feed out the starter and not let it go to waste :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by