Keets arrived from Guinea Farm of Iowa. Pics included.

My first injury. Coral blue pied hen with injured leg or toe after a misadventure on the coop roof and she crash landed. Now in a 36” dog crate with a companion inside the coop.

I’m thinking crate rest for 10-14 days but my crate may be too large and allow too much mobility. Hard to balance mental health and physical health.

I haven’t examined anything. I just noticed her limping the day after the misadventure so I caught her off the roost this morning and crated her.

My birds are not like @Sydney65 ;). There will be no calm epsom soaks or gentle splinting. But I’ll do what I can if it’s for the bird’s best interest.

So what I should be doing?
Sure you can. Fix your epsom salt up in a 5 gal. Bucket, wrap a towel around her to secure her wings and cover her eyes,then gently set her in the soak. Have your water comfortably warm but not too much so, or she'll get too hot.
That'll give you a chance to examine her feet, too, while she's wrapped up.
The guy who started BYC wrote Chicken Health for Dummies. So I'm just going to go down his list w/you:
Is she bearing some weight on it? Then a break or tendon rupture unlikely.
Check for Bumblefoot.
Check legs & thighs for puncture wounds,cuts, bruising.
the skin of the leg and thigh.
Have someone help you by holding the bird facing you.Gently pull on both feet to extend legs & compare side by side.They should be symmetrical. If you see a difference- a swollen hock joint or toe maybe viral or bacterial.
A swollen joint may be the result of a viral or bacterial infection. A leg oddly positioned may have suffered a tendon injury or broken bone.
I'll skip the Marek's part,since you know what happened-& I'm curious to see the reaction from this next part, bc certainly no one has suggested it since I've been around. On second thought, @R2elk said not to assume chickens & goons are the same, so mb wait for confirmation on the second part.:oops:
"1. Isolate the bird in a small area, so she doesn’t need to move much, and won’t get picked on. Don’t provide a perch until she’s improved. See our nursing care suggestions in Chapter 17. (I can give ya that)
2. Ahem...Give aspirin in the drinking water for two to three days. See the appendix for dose and mixing instructions." Third part is antibiotics, lets not get to the point you need those.
You said 36" crate, you could use zip ties and cardboard to 1/2 the size if needed.
Flush any wounds w/antiseptic to remove debris and then 1x daily x3-x5 a day. "antibiotic ointment to chicken wounds is doubtful, so we don’t recommend it. A bird’s own preen gland oil has antibacterial properties and skin conditioners that are just right for bird skin,"
Isolate in warm, clean, dry area away from pets. More than a month old, 80-85° is preferred. He says if she needs encouragement to eat to leave the light on 24/7, use Vitamins and Minerals in water.
Authors, Julie Gauther-DVM,MPH,Dipl ACVPM and Rob Ludlow

My first injury. Coral blue pied hen with injured leg or toe after a misadventure on the coop roof and she crash landed. Now in a 36” dog crate with a companion inside the coop.

I’m thinking crate rest for 10-14 days but my crate may be too large and allow too much mobility. Hard to balance mental health and physical health.

I haven’t examined anything. I just noticed her limping the day after the misadventure so I caught her off the roost this morning and crated her.

My birds are not like @Sydney65 ;). There will be no calm epsom soaks or gentle splinting. But I’ll do what I can if it’s for the bird’s best interest.

So what I should be doing?
Ouch. Well I would want to examine the injury first to make sure that there isn’t a wound/laceration that needs to be treated or an obvious break that needs to be splinted. Do you have a helper that can gently examine the leg while you hold the bird? A net or towel might help you hold or might just make grabbing her more awkward. Mine hate to be held but I can usually manage it for a quick exam or treatment. I try to be quick though to minimize the chance that that they will go into shock from the stress of handling. It’s gone reasonable well with the ones I’ve restrained.. except one that did indeed go into shock and die during restraint. However, on necropsy she was quite ill, so I just hastened her inevitable departure. If you aren’t really able to find a wound or obvious break, then crate rest seems a reasonable approach. As you say, it’s very difficult to balance their stress and confinement so you’ll have to see how much pacing she’s doing in the crate. I hope she improves quickly! :fl

After a few days of my keets eating their gamebird unmediated food and learning what their food is, I add hemp bedding..its very soft and absorbent.
0804212247.jpg

After observations, I see a white scalely-looking narrow strip down the inside of her right leg. Some sort of abrasion from trauma when coming off the roof?? :confused: I see no open wound or swelling, so would an epsom soak help anything?

She will hop on the right foot but prefers to hold it off the ground when standing still. Prefers to lay down and holds her right wing slightly out from her body when doing so.

I don’t see any swelling, blood, or odd angles of toes or lower leg. Phew! But then the injury must be higher. 😢

She is crated with a friend. They pace an awful lot when the group leaves. I have a wee little puppy crate but that seems pretty darn small for two birds. Is it better to cram them and keep the buddy with her or confine her by herself?

Crate is in the corner of the coop opposite the door so they can see out. Bedded with fresh straw, no roost. She was roosting when I caught her to put her in the crate, so she *can* do it but I don’t want her to.

Thank you all for your help and support. I really value this community’s input and collective experience.

She's using her wing to help balance. Adding a buddy is a new idea to me. I've not had a problem w/isolating, but the 2 times I've done it I've brought them inside,put a sheet over the crate and they've slept mostly. Neither idea is better than the other, we just do what works. Were you able to compare one leg to the other for symmetry? So she's scraped her leg, possibly bruised muscle causing pain. She probably just needs time to heal.

Posting some photos of the leg and of the unhappy captives.

Attachments

• E11C3397-E62A-4F06-A680-573958275F87.jpeg
    E11C3397-E62A-4F06-A680-573958275F87.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 7D9EC4C0-999F-417D-B1C6-3838E880DE6F.jpeg
    7D9EC4C0-999F-417D-B1C6-3838E880DE6F.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 1
  • EA3D41E6-7383-4334-961B-0578CA1DB94A.jpeg
    EA3D41E6-7383-4334-961B-0578CA1DB94A.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 02EB7909-FD77-49BE-BC83-FBE7835C7DC2.jpeg
    02EB7909-FD77-49BE-BC83-FBE7835C7DC2.jpeg