Keets knocking on the shell

River Lizard

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Varina, VA
I see 2 eggs with holes started, they're a couple days early, we were expecting them on Saturday. Got 24 eggs in the incubator and are hoping that 18-20 make it at least. A neighbor down the road wants 12 of them if most of them hatch. We're going to keep at least 12 ourselves and then what's left, they can have them.
Photos to come as soon as I can take some safely.

That's great! I'm so happy for you
smile.png
Guineas seem to almost always pip early. (Day 25 is when the pips seem to start, although they're supposed to take 28 days, lol.)

Good luck, and yes please post pics once they hatch
smile.png

6 of them are out and 7 & 8 are knocking hard at the their shells.
big_smile.png

Man, are these keets noisy! They were loud even when they were in their egg shell, long before they hatched out.
hmm.png
My neighbors are going to just love me........NOT.
lol.png
lol.png

Going to let them dry up and get warm tonight, I'll get photos tomorrow and post them up.

OK, we have one keet that seems to be stuck in his shell. It looks like his feathers are dried to the shell and he can't make it out all the way. He's also not opening up his eye or eyes (I can't see the other one)
Is there anything I can do to help him get the shell off of him? Doesn't look to me like it's going to come off since his feathers are dry. He's still curled in a ball within the shell but about 2/3's of the shell is gone.

Any ideas?

We also had one break open a little hole in it's shell about 28 hours ago and there hasn't been movement since. Is there a chance it's still alive and just decided he likes it better inside the egg vs coming out?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom