Keets - needing color help

2ndTink

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 23, 2020
This is our first time with Guineas, my husband was wanting them for bug control. I picked up 6 keets 4 weeks ago at a poultry sale, I was told the 4 are lavender and the other two are pearls. Can anyone verify? The two pearls just don't seem right because of the barring, but all I know about guineas is what I've seen here and Googled over the last month.

Gender guesses accepted too if any can be guessed yet. Below are pictures of them the first day I got them and today (with their BR buddies). They will be moving to their coop and out of the screened porch this weekend. They've sure made a mess of it 🙄
20200801_103615.jpg 20200905_135215.jpg 20200905_135219.jpg 20200905_135224.jpg

Looks like 4 Lavenders and two Pearl Grays. They aren't chickens, forget what you know about chicken colors when you are talking about guineas. Neither variety has their adult feathers yet. They are all in transition feathers.

Their heads will go bald and they will look even more different when they are adults.

You can not accurately sex adult guineas from pictures. You cannot accurately sex guineas that aren't old enough to make the "buckwheat" call. The absolute proof that a guinea is a hen is when she lays an egg. The two syllable "buckwheat" call is the second best method to identify a hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom