Keets, Pullets and summer heat -- still use a heater?

Vonnie7

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
I have 10 pullets and 11 keets (about 2 weeks old). For two weeks I kept these birds in my laundry room and used a chicken heater to keep them warm. Today I moved them to an outdoor brooder that is well protected (in the fenced area surrounding the coop) and sits in the shade of a tree and coop, with an additional tarp to ensure even more shade. However, I live in Texas and our highs are 100 and our lows are mid-70s. My question: should I put the brooder heater on before bed knowing it will drop to mid-70s? It will be 88 degrees at 10 p.m. and 77 degrees at 7 a.m., 85 degrees at 9 a.m. and 91 degrees by 11 a.m., reaching 99 or 100 by 2 p.m. I don't usually have babies at this time of year. I can move them back into the laundry room if needed. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I have 10 pullets and 11 keets (about 2 weeks old). For two weeks I kept these birds in my laundry room and used a chicken heater to keep them warm. Today I moved them to an outdoor brooder that is well protected (in the fenced area surrounding the coop) and sits in the shade of a tree and coop, with an additional tarp to ensure even more shade. However, I live in Texas and our highs are 100 and our lows are mid-70s. My question: should I put the brooder heater on before bed knowing it will drop to mid-70s? It will be 88 degrees at 10 p.m. and 77 degrees at 7 a.m., 85 degrees at 9 a.m. and 91 degrees by 11 a.m., reaching 99 or 100 by 2 p.m. I don't usually have babies at this time of year. I can move them back into the laundry room if needed. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Do you have a brooder plate you can use? Lights in outdoor pens make me nervous but not sure they are quite old enough for mid-70s nights…???

Do you have a brooder plate you can use? Lights in outdoor pens make me nervous but not sure they are quite old enough for mid-70s nights…???
I’m sorry. I do not have a heater/heat lamp. I use a brooder plate. I’m thinking I should turn it on at night before I go to bed to ensure they are warm enough in the early morning. Just wanting to hear from more experienced folks.

I’m sorry. I do not have a heater/heat lamp. I use a brooder plate. I’m thinking I should turn it on at night before I go to bed to ensure they are warm enough in the early morning. Just wanting to hear from more experienced folks.
A brooder plate is safer for outdoor use, IMHO. So if you can move the plate outdoors then I would think your babies will be fine with those temps.

Back
Top Bottom