KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

Did you try Craigs list. I finally got a GENEROUS kind someone to send me some. But it was like a 1/4tsp and I couldn't find them when straining. So I gave up on them after several weeks....it was hard to separate it from the cream of the milk... Duh
I need at least a heaping tablespoon.
I got mine on Amazon and I got about 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons sent to me. now have separated it into three quart sized jars and there are a few tablespoons in each jar.

Because you are not supposed to let it touch metal (or something like that) I use the following:
a plastic bowl
a plastic strainer
a plastic spoon
jars
wax paper
whole milk
rubber bands or jar lids and jar bands.

Procedure:
STEP 1: Put your kefir( when it is ready to strain) into the strainer and drain the whey( if you don't know what that is it looks like slightly tinted yellow water probably slightly sticky looking). The whey should drain well.
STEP 2:( If you did not have whey to drain skip step 1.) Place your strainer over the plastic bowl and let it sit until only the grains are left in the strainer. Most of the time, if my kefir is thick, I will take my plastic spoon and gently move the grain to the side then to the other side. This will help the grains to separate out. Make sure you do not stir them constantly or mess with them a lot; this will cause the kefir colony to start to make slime to protect its self.
STEP 3: Place the kefir grains into your jar and pour the milk in. The kefir will be ready to strain according the toe ratio of milk and the amount of kefir you have. Place some wax paper on top of the jar then put on the jar lid and band or rubber band.

I hope this helped those of you who just got your colony of kefir. Good luck!

Thanks I knew all of the how to I just didnt understand the part about the wax paper... I dont know why I mentioned the countertop part I knew that too>LOL
I used a coffee filter and rubberband like the "you tubes did". I thought it had to "breathe"
I just didnt have enough grains to begin with .. 1/4 tsp defintely wasnt enough. Plus my creamin the milk on top made it harder to see the tiny amt of kefir grains...
Im doin the Kombucha now since Friday last week...
now I started another one tonight from the leftover "tea" that the "scoby' came in. Since I cant find "original GT brand kombucha..raw" bottled tea. only the flavored ones. It is supposed to be only the "raw NOT flavored ones..... like only what I have seen in 3 different groceries.
I have the book from "Betsy Pryor" published in 1996.... got it from Ebay over a week ago
what I dont understand is why its so hard to get starters... everyone wants to sell it only. Plus its prob better to get from someone you actually know....
thanks anyway Ill keep trying and will make yogurt again in meantime and maybe cheese again... LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom