KELP MEAL....FREE CHOICE OR IN FEED?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SillyBird, Jul 30, 2016.

1. SillyBird

SillyBird Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Nova Scotia
    Hi,
    Just curious if people feed the kelp meal to their chickens in their feed or free choice? I've read it shouldn't be more than 1% of their feed. I've fed it free choice and also have sprinkled a tad over their feed. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Keep you balanced ration as it is: balanced. Any other products should be separate, not included in the base diet. I don't see any advantage to adding additional vitamins and minerals to their diet, so tiny amounts if any. Mary

3. SillyBird

Sep 4, 2015
    Nova Scotia
    Good idea, free choice allows them to eat it or not, rather than 'forcing' them to eat it within their food. If they need it...they'll eat it. Thanks for your thoughts on this. : )

4. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Still also have oyster shell in another separate dish for them. Mary

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What is the purpose/advantage/goal for feeding kelp meal?
    Also, what do you feed as their 'regular' feed?

6. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. Mary

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is a good source of some vitamins and some minerals. Also may be more economical source in areas like Nova Scotia and the Pacific Northwest. I think they use similar on the west coast of Ireland as well. I would use such if I lived in a costal area where kelp is easy to come by and I could not count in a complete feed formulation.

8. SillyBird

Sep 4, 2015
    Nova Scotia
    Way below is the breakdown / analysis of the Acadian Sea Kelp that I feed to my horses, calves and chickens. It's just loaded with goodness. I used to feed it free choice to my goats and some days they'd go through it like crazy, and some days not...just depends what their internal 'needs' are they say. I find in a bowl by itself the hens do eat it sometimes, and sometimes not...just depends.

I feed Purina Layena Checkers (Laying Complete) to my meat king hen Coconut. It is a pellet.

The other two laying hens (Leghorns) do not like the Layena Checkers. So, for them I have to go to another feed store and I buy them 16% Lay Mash. I have tried to get the laying hens to eat the same as the meat king, but nope...they won't. It's kinda funny really.

So why not put Coconut on the Lay Mash? Well, she was kind of 'choking' it down at times for some reason, so the pelleted food I can dampen and it softens it just a tad and voila...problem solved. AND, you can hide things in the dampened pellet too like fresh garlic, things they may need once and awhile but just won't eat on their own.

Those are just my thoughts on it. I'm certainly no expert.

Oyster shell...separate container for sure. But some of the bigger pieces I find they won't or cannot eat. Does anyone crush theirs up?

And same with grit...some pieces are kinda big.

Kelp breakdown:

Typical Composition
    Moisture
    Max 13.0%
    Crude Protein
    Min 4.0%
    Crude Fat
    Min 2.0%
    Crude Fiber
    Max 8.0%
    Ash
    Max 28.0%
    Carbohydrates
    Min 50.0%
    Macronutrients
    Calcium (Ca)
    Min 1.2%
    Magnesium (Mg)
    Min 0.8%
    Nitrogen (N)
    Min 0.9%
    Phosphorus (P)
    Min 0.1%
    Potassium (K)
    Min 1.5%
    Sodium (Na)
    Max 3.3%
    Sulfur (S)
    Min 2.0%
    Micronutrients
    Boron (B)
    Min 113 ppm
    Copper (Cu)
    Max 2 ppm
    Iodine (I)
    Min 300 ppm
    Iron (Fe)
    Min 150 ppm
    Manganese (Mn)
    Min 25 ppm
    Selenium (Se)
    Max 1 ppm
    Zinc (Zn)
    Min 28 ppm
    This product is a 100% natural organic marine algae product. Although certified laboratory analyses are obtained, they may vary slightly from the typical analysis due to naturally occurring fluctuations in the sea plant due to time of year, geographical location, plant life cycle, nutrient availability due to tidal conditions and tide flow. The analysis presented above is based on long-term sampling and statistical analysis and is believed to be accurate and reliable. However, Acadian Seaplants Limited makes no warranty; either expressed or implied, and assumes no liability for this information and the product described herein. This information is not provided as conditions of sale.
    ASD.KM.2.2.E.0813 [​IMG] Acadian Seaplants Limited 2013
    Other Elements
    Aluminum (Al)
    Max 187 ppm
    Antimony (Sb)
    Max 0.9 ppm
    Arsenic (As), Total
    Max 35 ppm
    Arsenic (As), Inorganic
    Max 2.0 ppm
    Barium
    Max 11 ppm