1. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I have 8 5ft x 10 foot kennels on concrete. My dogs no longer use them and I am wanting to start a chicken coop.

Has anyone converted their kennels to coops?

Any plans or ideas would be great.

Thanks!

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have not done this!

I believe that would work!

I would refrase question to get more people imput!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Lots of people here have converted their old dog kennels with coops inside...hope someone helps you out with pics...if not go to the coop section here on BYC or the other BYC ezboard and look thru the coop thread pics....

I use my old kennels for one of my outside runs from the henhouse....

4. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    I used a dog kennel for a coop check out my page

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Not the best picks of the run but here it is.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14980

I have a 10x10 kennel with double doors that I use as a run. I built a coop on the outside though I did use a dog house when they were small. The kennel has a panel in the center so I can divide and use it for bitties when I get them in the spring.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have side by side dog kennels as coops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lined the bottoms and top with wire and you HAVE to shut them in a night!! We had a weasel go RIGHT THROUGH the chain link!

7. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Looks good!

8. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I am using a 6 x 8 x6 kennel frame.
    It no longer has chain link but I covered
    it completely with chicken wire. I think if you made sure every possible spot is secure then I think it would be fine.

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    From personal experience, do not use poultry netting for security. I've encountered my first ever predator trouble. It actually managed to break two layers of poultry netting to try and get in to my guinea coop. Didn't matter it still couldn't get in because there was 2X4 welded wire that it could not get through.

Just because you've never had predator problems does not mean you won't, just ask me.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  10. Bamaman

Bamaman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    cullman and auburn, al
    [​IMG]

You can see some of mine on the left side of the pic. My dad ran for sheriff so i used his big political signs as wind and rain shields on the north side of the kennel. Since your in florida you could use tarps on the sides. That way you could roll them up in the summer to get better ventilation. I am probably going to put tarps on mine this year. I have two sides that rain can blow in, and that causes a mess. I'll try to get better pics this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by