Kennel Coop?

bossdog004

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Tampa, FL
I have 8 5ft x 10 foot kennels on concrete. My dogs no longer use them and I am wanting to start a chicken coop.

Has anyone converted their kennels to coops?

Any plans or ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Lots of people here have converted their old dog kennels with coops inside...hope someone helps you out with pics...if not go to the coop section here on BYC or the other BYC ezboard and look thru the coop thread pics....

I use my old kennels for one of my outside runs from the henhouse....

I have side by side dog kennels as coops.

House019.jpg

House020.jpg

I lined the bottoms and top with wire and you HAVE to shut them in a night!! We had a weasel go RIGHT THROUGH the chain link!

I am using a 6 x 8 x6 kennel frame.
It no longer has chain link but I covered
it completely with chicken wire. I think if you made sure every possible spot is secure then I think it would be fine.

From personal experience, do not use poultry netting for security. I've encountered my first ever predator trouble. It actually managed to break two layers of poultry netting to try and get in to my guinea coop. Didn't matter it still couldn't get in because there was 2X4 welded wire that it could not get through.

Just because you've never had predator problems does not mean you won't, just ask me.

Last edited:
rooster5.jpg

You can see some of mine on the left side of the pic. My dad ran for sheriff so i used his big political signs as wind and rain shields on the north side of the kennel. Since your in florida you could use tarps on the sides. That way you could roll them up in the summer to get better ventilation. I am probably going to put tarps on mine this year. I have two sides that rain can blow in, and that causes a mess. I'll try to get better pics this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom