Kentucky people

Hey folks,

We're in Louisville and have a buff Orpington, a gray Araucana, and a black Australorp. We thought they were all pullets, but are almost certain that the Australorp is a cockerel. Pity, as he's gentle with us and absolutely beautiful....but my Highlands neighbors are not especially fond of being awakened at 6am by his crow! We've been a chicken family for about six weeks and are loving it, even in the snow today.
Welcome! I'm not as active in this thread as I am the Indiana BYCers one (it's a bit more conversational), but I'm your neighbor across the river in Floyd County. Having lived in the Highlands, I find it hard to believe having a crowing rooster wouldn't add to your hipster cred!
lol.png

Seriously, though, google the No-crow collar. There's that and another brand or two of collar that just came out a few months ago. They don't hurt your rooster, but they will slow down his sound so that he's not very loud at all. Made of elastic.

I had to rehome a wrongly-sexed roo this year, a little bantam EE that was supposed to be a hen. He started attacking my daughter so he went to live with a farmer here in the Knobs. I wish you the best of luck with yours. We miss his cock-a-doodle-doo.

Anyone know close to hodgenville or etown a place where I can buy stuff like flax seed etc etc to make my own organic non gmo feed affordable?

Last edited:
Anyone out there got a Black or Chocolate Orpington Cockrel they need to get rid of mine doesn't look like he's going to make it through the night I'm in the E'town area.

Hi all I'm in Oak Grove just started a small flock this past spring. I have seven chickens and four ducks in my flock. I'm about to venture into hatching a few on my own this month. I've been on BYC for a while now and I'm glad I have found a group in KY.

Hi everyone. Nice to finally find a group of local folks. I'm making my chicken plans for the year and looking at adding some good buckeye chickens to my flock. Anyone know where I might find some buckeyes in the Ky area? I live in the mercer county area and haven't seen any at the swaps. They seem to be hard to find and I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Hi everyone. Nice to finally find a group of local folks. I'm making my chicken plans for the year and looking at adding some good buckeye chickens to my flock. Anyone know where I might find some buckeyes in the Ky area? I live in the mercer county area and haven't seen any at the swaps. They seem to be hard to find and I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Unfortunately this thread has become pretty slow, so answers and resources are hard to get on here. I follow the Indiana BYCers thread and love it! Good luck with the Buckeye hunt, haven't heard much about them.
big_smile.png

Does anyone in Northern Kentucky have eggs to sell from a free-range flock that is fed an organic, no-soy, no-corn diet? I know someone looking for some and said I would inquire.

Back
Top Bottom