Kentucky people

Pics
Quote:
Hi Perry. We will all have to meet up and talk chickens. Do you know Jerry from the Eastview area? Sorry I cannot remember his avatar name. He has golden campines, and I hope to be getting a few chicks from him soon. I am so happy to see that others in my area and in KY like chickens as much as I do. My non-chicken friends just don't understand the attraction.

Hey everyone,

Just checking to make sure everyone is safe and sound after last nights storms. Sounds like some of you might have gotten hit pretty hard.

I didn't have nearly as much damage this week as I did last week. Last week the wind took the roofs off of one pen, completely picked up and flipped another, flipped a coop over (with chickens in it and amazingly only one was killed when debris fell on her), chickens closest to the coop doors were sucked out and tossed around the yard, and part of the roof off the garage. Last night it only took the roof off of one pen, so I was grateful.

Everyone let us know how you are.

Yolonda

It got VERY rough here lastnight. atched two funnel clouds pass over. Damage was a minimum like Yolonda said from last week, but it wasnt as windy here as it was then. It was extremely calm and muggy for most of the night.

~Casey

Yes chick-n-law I have known Jerry (turbo) for 30+ yrs. Since I was 15 yrs old. We have been friends for many yrs., and have pretty much messed with poultry for a long time..If you talk to him ask him about the duck I got from him when I was about 16. Pretty funny story now, but not at the time. LOL...
lol.png

I still remember the smile you had on your face as you rode away on your bike with the duck....I think you traded me a chicken for it? I cant remember for sure...are you going to tell everyone what happened to that duck, its really kind of a sad story.

I think Chick-N-Law and Perry can tell you all that we got hit hard by the storm, my family and I came out with no damage, but there was major damage just down the road in Cecila.

Tom,

I made it home safe with the boys! They are settling in. I just checked on them a few minutes ago, and they were scratching away. Thank you! I love them already!!!!!

And Perry, I want to know what happened to the duck!

Yolonda

Ok you asked for it. I had bugged him forever to get the duck from him and finally after much persistence he traded it to me. I placed it in a nice cloth sack with alot of air holes, hopped on my bike and headed to my house. Got maybe a half mile from his house and the ducks head got caught between the front fork of the bike and the spolks "probably misspelled". Needless to say I was very upset with myself. It was quite awhile before I would tell him. Of course the duck died instantly. So now you know the rest of the story of the duck that I "so" desperately wanted....
he.gif
:

Last edited:
Poor duck. Don't feel bad. I had a bad experience when I moved back to Kentcky. I went to a horse sale, and they had chickens. I had given all of mine away when I left Missourri so I bought a few, and the guy assured me they would be okay in the bag for the ride home. He held them in a cage until I left, and then bagged them up. On the ride home, I could hear them fussing and moving around in the back seat. When I got home I opened the bag, and one wasn't moving. laid him down in front of the headlights and started CPR. Chest compressions, breathing, the whole works. (STOP LAUGHING!) Needless to say my attempts were unsuccessful. So now I try to keep a pet taxi in the car for the unexpected opportunities.

Perry, I think it took you 25 yrs to finally tell me the duck had died...the other bad part was that you had about a 3-4 mile bike ride to get home.

Our ducks at my mom and dads farm always did have bad luck, I remember comming home one night late at night and as the headlights from the car hit the duck pen we saw a flash of red, it was my 9 month old Irish Setter mix standing in the middle of the duck pen killing all of the baby ducklings (I think it was the same pair of mom and dad ducks that produced your "bike duck")

I couldnt believe that "Ginger" would do that, my dad was old school and took Ginger to the dog pound no matter how much I begged him not too, he said that once the dog had killed baby ducks she would always kill them if she got the chance....I was devastated...I had always wanted an Irish Setter and at this point in my young life a mixed Irish Setter was better than nothing and I sure coudnt afford a pure bred Irish Setter..so Ginger was about my only chance to get a pretty dark red setter.

I am pretty sure that all those Big Red books I had read in elementary school was the major reason I was soooo Irish Setter crazy. It took me a long time to get over loosing my dog and all my baby ducks in one weekend...you know the really ironic part of all this? I now work at that animal shelter......

Back
Top Bottom