Kentucky people

Hey all! Our Monthly Poultry Fair will be at the Georgetown Ky Tractor Supply this month. The address is 305 Connector Road, Georgetown.

As usual, 7:30 til it's too hot or we sell out.

Saturday, September 18

email me for more info.

Elkhorn Community Consignment Auction

Saturday Sept. 25 @ 9:30 a.m. EDT

From Campbellsville, take Hwy. 70 East to 76, right 1 1/2 miles to 1752 (Speck Ridge Road), go left, 3 1/2 miles on right. From Liberty, take 70 West to Taylor-Casey line, left on 1752 (Speck Ridge Road), 3 1/2 miles on left. Signs posted.

Items already consigned: 2 row NH tobacco setter, 1 row hew idea corn picker, IH McCormick #46 Square baler, 5'IH drag disk, Square bales alfalfa and mixed grass hay, log chain

**Small livestock--Including chickens, ducks, rabbits--expected day of sale.
All horses and ponies must have negative Coggins and health (CUI) papers
*Landscaping shrubs and trees from Sunny Day Nursery*
fruit trees, grape vines, blueberry bushes, knockout roses, shade trees, ornamental trees and shrubs, hardwood mulch in 3 cu. ft. bag, concrete stepping stones and edgers.

Apples by the bushel: Eating apples, frying apples, cooking apples, canning apples
Lots of farm, lawn, and garden related items expected sale day!

Commission rates:
$1-$25: 15%
$25.01-$200: 10%
$200.01-$500: 8%
Over $500: 6%
Max. commission $150

Flea market space available $15

Hosted by Cave Auctioneering 270-465-2175

Quote:
Good luck! Sharpies are your friend when you have broodies setting in the general population
smile.png
As long as they aren't they type of hen that will eat your arm off when you check them
hide.gif

Quote:
Good luck! Sharpies are your friend when you have broodies setting in the general population
smile.png
As long as they aren't they type of hen that will eat your arm off when you check them
hide.gif

I've not tried sharpies. Pens and pencils tend to get rubbed off so I quit trying with them. Thanks for the tip. I will try the fine line sharpie so as to not put too much ink on the shell.

Quote:
smile.png
hide.gif

I've not tried sharpies. Pens and pencils tend to get rubbed off so I quit trying with them. Thanks for the tip. I will try the fine line sharpie so as to not put too much ink on the shell.

It doesn't bother them whichever you use, it doesn't bleed into the egg.

I am happy for one of my broody hens Finnaly after about four weeks she has two empty egg shells in the nest with her but outside her fluffed up feathers. She is an easily panic'd white cornish and I like my hands to remain in one piece so I haven't looked under her. The other hen got off her nest yesterday but is acting strange today so I wonder if any of hers hatched as well. Patience, patience I keep telling myself. (I cannot spell either)

I had to take the 6 week old dark cornish out of the brooder pen away from the two momma hens with their 5 chicks. It was starting to peck on the young ones and the momma hens were ignoring the chicks.

It went from being the picker to the pickee. I introduced it to the two older roos and some of the older hens prior to letting it loose. I then re caught it and showed it a few hiding places until it gets fully accepted.

The chicks have discovered they have wings and can flitter and are doing so with glee.
They are about 4 weeks old. One flittered/jumped on the back of one of the hens. She tollerated it for a brief moment then let it slide down her back when she straightened up.

Every now and then I remember why I have chickens besides they make me breakfast and Sunday dinner. It helps me tolerate scraping the poop off my shoes when I leave their coop.

I have that same problem with hens laying new eggs in the broody nest. I never thought of marking with sharpie! Definetely will be doing that next time. I threw away 24 eggs last night...some had veins, some didn't, but I didn't want to accidentally sell half developed eggs.

I've got one broody right now that is in the building. She gets 1-2 'donor' eggs daily. All of her eggs are marked with a big line from a marker. It helps that all her eggs are bantams, and the 2 donor hens are a leghorn and a langshan...those eggs are twice as big as the ones she should have
lau.gif
But even if I don't get them right away, they are still 'good' up to 24 hours. If they've been sat on more then 24 hours I give them to the dogs or the chickens. Unless they have veins, then the hen keeps them until she leaves the nest or I get bator room, whichever comes first
big_smile.png

Does anyone have any day old chicks. Honestly at this point I don't even care what it is. Just small and young. I have a day old chick who is the only one who made it through the kids incubation project. The end of their project was a report on the whole process that ended with our poor baby is all alone. The poor thing is all alone. I live in Cecilia near elizabethtown. I prefer if its within an hour drive since I still have sick kiddies but worst comes to worst I will make the hubby drive further.

Thanks
Heather

Quote:
The youngest chicks I have right now are about 3-4 weeks old, but I've got 2 hens on nests that are due within a week or so. I have some baby quail that just hatched, but you aren't really supposed to mix quail with chickens
hmm.png

4 of the chicks I have are partridge or buff silkies, and I don't want them. Like I said, they are about 3-4 weeks old though. Let me know, I'm in Adair Co.

Back
Top Bottom