Kentucky people

I have a question about this Orp chick. I have a trio of BB Orps and this is just the third chick I have hatched. It's two sister look like their parents when they hatched but this one is not. I am so hoping it is a Lav but I am not for sure.
45538_misc_075.jpg

45538_misc_072.jpg

Quote:
Looks like a splash to me. What color are the breeding pair?

I have a Blue Rooster over one Blue and one Black hen.

Then I'd bet it's the blue hen's egg and you've got a splash chick there.

Quote:
I have a Blue Rooster over one Blue and one Black hen.

Thanks for the help. I am use to silkies so this lil Orp threw me for a loop.

Quote:

No prob.....

Just remember, when yo have blue on blue you can get blue black or splash. Your blue over black will get you black and blue. Your percentage of splash will be the least, but you'll get some.

Also, splash babies tend to be kind of smudgy looking. In this pic there are 3 splash, 1 black and 3 blues. These chicks were about 5 days old.

21675_2011_animals_064.jpg

In comparison, black splits and lav 2 day old babies. Lav tends to be more silvery blue and more uniform.
21675_32511hatch_and_chicks_001.jpg

21675_dscn0821.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

No prob.....

Just remember, when yo have blue on blue you can get blue black or splash. Your blue over black will get you black and blue. Your percentage of splash will be the least, but you'll get some.

Also, splash babies tend to be kind of smudgy looking. In this pic there are 3 splash, 1 black and 3 blues. These chicks were about 5 days old.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/21675_2011_animals_064.jpg

In comparison, black splits and lav 2 day old babies. Lav tends to be more silvery blue and more uniform.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/21675_32511hatch_and_chicks_001.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/21675_dscn0821.jpg

smile.png
Beautiful & Adorable
wink.png

Anyone want to attempt hatching any Pekin Duck eggs this year. I am collecting from my pair. I really don't have time to incubate this year due to family issue though. I just set 5 under a boody silkie in my brooder cage and am hoping for the best. I have 8 others set aside and she lays daily. If you let me know your interested I can try to set aside some eggs for you.

We're on Day 10 of our first attempt at incubation, using a Little Giant from the local TSC.

We didn't see much while candling the 33 eggs on Day 8, and had kind of lost hope, but I just grabbed a random handful tonight for a quick candling, and found moving, healthy-looking things inside all five of them!!!

So we'll be candling them all tomorrow night, and there's still plenty of time for us to mess the whole thing up, but we're so excited!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom