Kentucky people

Quote:
If all goes well, I should have some Cayuga mixes hatch Easter weekend. The parents look like Cayugas but they are surely mixed. Momma duck's eggs are a pretty blue-green, not the grey that Cayuga's lay. I have 11 in the incubator but not sure what I'll get out of it. I'll likely keep some, but if they all hatch, I'll have too many for sure! You can have some of them if you're interested.

I'm in Stanford (hour south of Lexington).

I also have 5 eggs at present that my Cayuga laid. I've moved her to the farm but did not take her eggs with her in the move. I wanted her to adjust to the new location and surroundings. Up to this point, she's laid close to 30 eggs and I've yet to see her go broody, so I don't think moving them to where she is will do any good.

So, if anyone wants some free Cayuga mix hatching eggs, let me know soon! Based on the development of the duck eggs in the incubator, of the 12 I put in, 11 were forming nicely! I expect these 5 here to be fertilized. I just have the two Cayugas (one drake, one duck). Idealy someone who can pick them up or I'll be in Lex Friday April 8th, I may be able to meet somewhere to hand over the eggs.

Quote:
Good Luck! . . . and better you than me.
smile.png

Quote:
I've heard that too about the local honey and helping with allergies. I've never experimented with it... perhaps because it's not me or my kids with the allergies! It's my husband and a step kid (who is rarely here) with the allergies! I can't get either of them to go along with my little experiments. I guess my Halloween birthday and crazy requests have made them untrusting????? LOL
lol.png

Quote:
If all goes well, I should have some Cayuga mixes hatch Easter weekend. The parents look like Cayugas but they are surely mixed. Momma duck's eggs are a pretty blue-green, not the grey that Cayuga's lay. I have 11 in the incubator but not sure what I'll get out of it. I'll likely keep some, but if they all hatch, I'll have too many for sure! You can have some of them if you're interested.

I also have 5 eggs at present that my Cayuga laid. I've moved her to the farm but did not take her eggs with her in the move. I wanted her to adjust to the new location and surroundings. Up to this point, she's laid close to 30 eggs and I've yet to see her go broody, so I don't think moving them to where she is will do any good.

So, if anyone wants some free Cayuga mix hatching eggs, let me know soon! Based on the development of the duck eggs in the incubator, of the 12 I put in, 11 were forming nicely! I expect these 5 here to be fertilized. I just have the two Cayugas (one drake, one duck). Idealy someone who can pick them up or I'll be in Lex Friday April 8th, I may be able to meet somewhere to hand over the eggs.

Not all cayugas lay the grey eggs, and most that do don't lay them for very long then they go to white or blue. So I wouldn't base whether or not they are pure solely on that.

Quote:
We're not planning on harvesting this year. So, it'll be a year from September? LOL There's some places around here that have local honey but it's terribly expensive. From $8-$12 a jar. Allergies are the reason we got the bees in the first place. DH gets congested come ragweed season.
Colby
Wilson's nursery in Frankfort has local

Last edited:
Quote:

Not all cayugas lay the grey eggs, and most that do don't lay them for very long then they go to white or blue. So I wouldn't base whether or not they are pure solely on that.

Oh really? When I read up on the breed, everything referred to grey eggs. Interesting! They are pretty eggs and they've been consistently the same color. They are very pretty with my presumed-mutt-chicken's brown eggs. The lady that gave me the ducks said they were most likely crossed with something. Their coloring seems "off" but it's all good. I gave a couple a door for their duck house and they gave me two chicks (turned out to be one hen, one roo) and two ducks (turned out to be one drake, one duck hen). It's been fun having the birds around. The kids are learning a few things. We'll eventually get a duck house for the pond built for them so they can be let free. My drake has plucked my poor hen featherless! So he needs to be booted out of the chicken pen if he's not going to behave.

Quote:

Oh really? When I read up on the breed, everything referred to grey eggs. Interesting! They are pretty eggs and they've been consistently the same color. They are very pretty with my presumed-mutt-chicken's brown eggs. The lady that gave me the ducks said they were most likely crossed with something. Their coloring seems "off" but it's all good. I gave a couple a door for their duck house and they gave me two chicks (turned out to be one hen, one roo) and two ducks (turned out to be one drake, one duck hen). It's been fun having the birds around. The kids are learning a few things. We'll eventually get a duck house for the pond built for them so they can be let free. My drake has plucked my poor hen featherless! So he needs to be booted out of the chicken pen if he's not going to behave.

No, just like everything else, the grey/black eggs are a 'quality' specification.

Remember when I said I thought my black/white duck hen had a hidden nest & I was tryin to find it.......... well we finally found it last night! I had all of us out there watchin that duck & of all places she has it under our shed! I took a pic. of her on it last night, when she leaves it today I'm gonna look to see how many eggs she has in it. Yesterday was the 1st day she stayed on her nest most of the day. So I guess we might have ducklings in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom