Kentucky people

Quote:
I don't know where Burnside is but I've always got birds for sale!
lau.gif
Currently I've got a straight-combed EE pullet and a couple BR girls (and their roo
fl.gif
) that need new homes, plus some OEG that I'll probably be letting go if they ever quit sitting on eggs!
barnie.gif

Quote:
I keep the smaller eggs to feed to the chickens. In hot weather I boil the eggs the day before then take them fresh from the fridge outside to the hens. I'm sure it helps some. In cold weather I do the opposite, take hot/warm eggs out to the birds. Every little bit helps and I don't use the small (mixed) eggs. Of course eventually I 'plan' to not have any mixes, so I don't know what I'll do then. Guess I'll have to give them quail eggs or grow some extra cucumbers!
lau.gif

smile.png
I freeze whole tomatoes & give them to my chickens in the Winter,also give them canned corn & canned green beans~Watermelon is tasty in the Summer
cool.png

Quote:
I keep the smaller eggs to feed to the chickens. In hot weather I boil the eggs the day before then take them fresh from the fridge outside to the hens. I'm sure it helps some. In cold weather I do the opposite, take hot/warm eggs out to the birds. Every little bit helps and I don't use the small (mixed) eggs. Of course eventually I 'plan' to not have any mixes, so I don't know what I'll do then. Guess I'll have to give them quail eggs or grow some extra cucumbers!
lau.gif

smile.png
I freeze whole tomatoes & give them to my chickens in the Winter,also give them canned corn & canned green beans~Watermelon is tasty in the Summer
cool.png

Oh yes, watermelon is my 'trick' for shipping birds in warmer weather...if they run out of 'water' in-transit it's because they are dumb!
lol.png

Quote:
smile.png
cool.png

Oh yes, watermelon is my 'trick' for shipping birds in warmer weather...if they run out of 'water' in-transit it's because they are dumb!
lol.png

smile.png
BRILLIANT Shelly~ I would have never thought of that ! ! ! ~Glad U R still in KY~Although I'm trying to move to N or S Carolina or GA.
roll.png
Take care of yourself
cool.png

I was showing cthrash1 the baby buns earlier (she came by to give me a quail chick she'd hatched). I pulled 2 babies out of the back of the box, 1 spotted and 1 black. When I went to put them back I noticed that there were some babies in the front of the box. I started moving them to the back when I realized there were 3 spotted ones in that group?? She only had 3 spotted ones to start with, but I've seen 4 now. So I got my bucket and started pulling babies from the fur again. Sometime between this morning and yesterday morning mama bun has had 2 more babies! So now she has 11, 5 spotted and 6 blacks. I can't believe she had so many!

I only put her with the buck once, the second time I put her in there she wouldn't let him breed. I've read that you put them with the buck twice, at least 6 hours apart, to increase the size of the litter. Guess it's a good thing she didn't breed the second time!
gig.gif

Quote:
Hey neighbor!!! We need to get together for a visit... I live in Somerset off 80 toward Nancy. I take my excess chickens down to some really great folks in burnside. The son always has to stop on the way back home to get a peanut butter marshmallow milkshake from that little burger shack.

Quote:
If you get desperate enough to just give them away I know some really nice folks down in Burnside that would give them a super great
home. I can meet you halfway between Somerset and Lexington. They have 5 acres of free range plus the neighbors hay field. I give them all my extras plus bonus ones(example: BCMs). She loves the 6.00 a dozen eggs(dark brown). They love and spoil all their birds. Not only do they have all that free range space but they also have a cool coop that is open on the bottom and closed in up where the roosts and nestboxes are... It is completely surrounded by a 10 mile electric fence. They also have an old holly tree that a lot of the chickens love to sleep in year round. It has a ramp running into it with electric wire that he turns on at night after the birds settle in and he turns it off before the birds wake in the morning. They get pizza crusts from a shop and they crumble some and soak some in water after it gets hard from sitting. They are very spoiled birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know where Burnside is but I've always got birds for sale!
lau.gif
Currently I've got a straight-combed EE pullet and a couple BR girls (and their roo
fl.gif
) that need new homes, plus some OEG that I'll probably be letting go if they ever quit sitting on eggs!
barnie.gif

It's in Pulaski Co. close to Somerset. I wish one of my would sit on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom