Kentucky people

Quote:
Shelly, we are at the KY river by Jessamine/Garrad Co. I don't care to drive to get birds.... I just want once my little ones can raise and show for 4H.

I have never had Seramas.... how hearty are they in KY? Will they do ok outside in a coop in winter, given their size? Are they ok on wire if they are free range most days? My kids cart the chickens around all the time. i think we had 3 different ones in the house today. They are bird obsessed....
smile.png

Quote:
Wow, you're doing good. Only added 20 more in 15 months? I went from 6 starting out to 25 within a few weeks, I have no idea now how many chickens I have now
gig.gif
I know I've got 40 or 50 in pens then I've got probably that many more that free range. Then there's the geese (11), ducks (13 adults plus 12 babies and counting), guineas (9 I think), pheasants (14? I think?), quail (35 buttons and probably that many coturnix), doves (14), and pigeons (9). I think that's all the birds I have right now....I'm sure the total is over 200 birds
gig.gif
Far shot away from 6 bantam chickens that I started with 3 years ago!

Last edited:
Quote:
Shelly, we are at the KY river by Jessamine/Garrad Co. I don't care to drive to get birds.... I just want once my little ones can raise and show for 4H.

I have never had Seramas.... how hearty are they in KY? Will they do ok outside in a coop in winter, given their size? Are they ok on wire if they are free range most days? My kids cart the chickens around all the time. i think we had 3 different ones in the house today. They are bird obsessed....
smile.png

I had 3 hens and a roo that were in an open-bottomed chicken tractor last winter. I lost the rooster but the hens did okay. Though I did move them into a dog house/coop with some younger bantams after the rooster died, so that might have helped. If they are kept away from drafts and have a small enough area that they can keep warm in they should do okay.

My friend keeps his in wire cages raised off the ground and they do fine, I don't think he ever lets his out on the ground and I know he doesn't move them inside. He moves younger ones into a smaller shed behind his house that he can put a heat light in if he needs to, but the adults stay in his barn and do fine. I think it depends mainly on acclimation and proper housing.

The only problem with cages is that the birds waste a lot of feed, you have to get kinda creative to keep them from wasting so much. My on-ground pens get to clean up what they've spilled before they get fed again
wink.png

I don't let my Serama free range but that's mainly by choice. Most of my birds, even the 'bantams' are easily twice as big as the Serama, but those little Serama roos think they have super powers. They'd get hurt real quick and you can't have show birds with beat up combs.

Plus I'm kinda partial to the little sweeties, I don't know if I could handle losing any of them to predators
love.gif

I'm in Adair Co. about 20 minutes south of the Green River Lake. My friend lives in Casey Co. a little ways west of Liberty.

ETA: The Serama I had outside last year were shipped from Miami FL in November. The guy had 5 birds--4 hens, 1 roo (1 hen went to my friend)--in a Single N.E.S.T. shipping box. Those boxes are made to ship 2 bantams at most and he had 5 in there. The most I've ever sent in those is 3 and that's if they're real small. The roo was not 'right' when I got him, his comb was purple and never did 'warm' up. I think he got squished from all the hens on him. They have enough problems with their hearts and lungs as it is, plus the stress of shipping? Then to have 5 birds in a box? It was just too much for him.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi there! I am in Lexington, so right in your area. I am down to 11 chickens, almost all egglayers now.

Quote:
smile.png
WELCOME
big_smile.png
we are a GREAT GROUP
cool.png

Thank you Blue Bug and Shelly!
If my birds free ranged, I would probably have a ton more but because they are penned, I have to watch how many I accumulate. It is so hard not to have at least one of every kind you like and it is also very hard not to hatch when you have a lot of broodies. I have to find an outlet for some of the babies so I can keep hatching!
Right now I am trying my first incubator hatch with 6 of my own Serama eggs. I'm expecting nothing but hoping for everything!

Quote:
Hi there! I am in Lexington, so right in your area. I am down to 11 chickens, almost all egglayers now.

Hi,
Where in Lex? I am in Versailles just off of Versailles Rd.

Back
Top Bottom