Kentucky people

Quote:
x2
big_smile.png

We are having a first time chicken, small animal swap in Sonora, Ky. on Aug 27th. It will be Sonora Days and there should be a large crowd. It will be at the Sonora Farm Supply. There is a large covered wrap around porch that we can use. The set ups are free. It is clean and the owner is really nice. You can also sell your extra garden vegs or whatever too. I'm the first to sign up and promised the owner to put the word out. Hope to see you there.

Quote:
smile.png
OH that should be 'perfect' I have always wanted to stop @ SONORA when I was traveling South. Is the Farm Supply Store difficult to find? Do you know if someone brings goats? do they require any kind of health paper for them? I am for certain bringing 2 Easter Egger Roos & some fresh eggs.
big_smile.png
And I will pass the word about it, you could also post it on Craigs List
cool.png

Names Justin. I'm just getting into chickens and have the hen house almost finished. I live in Lexington and will be looking for my flock soon. I'm still reading about the different breeds. I had no idea there were so many! I'm also reading up on what to feed them for the best eggs.

Best feed for them is a feed made especially for laying. I like the 20% protein layer pellets my feed store carries for my 'big' birds and the 16% protein crumbles for my 'little' birds. If they had crumbles in 20% I'd get it for both, but they only have pellets and I worry about my Serama and OEGB not being able to eat those.

Quote:
Shelley wouldn't an old time hand crank grain mill turn your 20% pellets into 20% crumbles? You see them for sale on eBay all the time. It would depend on how many needed the smaller feed, but it could be done. Here's one I was looking at for homemade corn meal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTON-36-3601-...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3f08f0e301

Probably, but when I go through 100# of layer crumbles and 50# of layer pellets a week, I'm thinking I'd just rather have it already ground up when I get it
gig.gif

ETA: Could you imagine grinding 50#-100# of feed with one of those??
ep.gif
th.gif

Last edited:
Oh, I don't believe I mentioned that I was right with vent sexing a goose? I sexed her as a female and was hoping I was right since she is NOT an Embden as I thought, but rather a White Chinese. She is about 21 weeks old and has been laying eggs for a week! Crazy bird!

This is a picture of her a few weeks ago:
DSC01001.jpg

And here she was as a baby (smaller one on left):
DSC00810.jpg

Still not sure if I'll keep her indefinitely, but her being a girl makes it easier
smile.png

Quote:
Shelley wouldn't an old time hand crank grain mill turn your 20% pellets into 20% crumbles? You see them for sale on eBay all the time. It would depend on how many needed the smaller feed, but it could be done. Here's one I was looking at for homemade corn meal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTON-36-3601-...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3f08f0e301

Probably, but when I go through 100# of layer crumbles and 50# of layer pellets a week, I'm thinking I'd just rather have it already ground up when I get it
gig.gif

ETA: Could you imagine grinding 50#-100# of feed with one of those??
ep.gif
th.gif

Yup, that would hamper things somewhat. That's why I said it "depended" on how many needed the smaller feed. You could go the other way though. Rather than take the 20% to crumble size, you could add protein to the crumbles and increase it to a higher percentage. Might talk to someone at your feed mill and see what you could cook up? When I had my goats you couldn't get any feed formulated for them around here. My friend at my feed mill worked with me until we had a great mix that kept them fat, healthy, and sassy. Figures now that I don't have them there are goat mixes everywhere.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom