Kentucky people

Boer goats are an African originated breed and they do not faint. It is a crossbred with Boer looks and myotonic tendencies if it faints. There are breeds based on myotonics with and without Boer blood, some great ones in Texas where they've been breeding meat goats for a long time.

The Tennessee Fainting Goat, Nervous goats, wooden leg, stiff leg, all are names for the same thing, Myotonic goats. They don't actually faint, but 'spasm' and stay conscious.

I raised Boers for quite a while and had a flock of 45 does with 2 registered Boer bucks. In all that time, trust me, not a one ever fainted. If they had, I might have kept them longer. They sure would have been way easier to catch when they got out of the fence and into someone elses hay field.

I actually suggested myotonics to my husband as an alternative to Boer bloodlines and he is so burnt by Boers, he'd rather just buy goat for the freezer. The closer to 100% pure Boer we got, the more difficult it was to keep the kids alive. The Boers sucked at being mothers, some would have them and just walk away like it never happened. Even the ones they stayed with, the kids fail to thrive no matter what you do. The best ones we had were 3/4 Nubian and 1/4 Boer. The kids picked up from 1st step, thrived, and put weight on with no other help from us other than regular wormings and vaccinations. I'd rather have either mytonics or Kikos any day over Boers!!

This is a link to a video of fainters which is great. They have some half Boers that inherited the myotonic gene.
celebrate.gif

Wow that's a lot of goat info!
smile.png
. Hers are pure boer. I know they don't faint they are just jerks that throw themselves on the ground. The video was really cool tho!! She has 3 bucks and 50+ does right now. And you are right. She bottle fed 5 or more last spring. A few died cause the mother laid on them. It's crazy. She said they wake up every morning and look for a reason to die. Crazy.

I appreciate all the goat info
smile.png
. Your type is very cute! If you see us Saturday be sure to say hi!!

smile.png

Quote:
Wake up every morning and look for a reason to die....TOO FUNNY. Not dying goats, just...well...I feel the same way about boers. Never heard it phrased quite so, though.

Quote:
When I called they said they were considering stocking it. Anybody in the area interested in organic feed should definately call and ask them about it. Maybe they will decide its important. At the very least maybe we can go in on it together, though I need to find out what exactly they can get. I like whole grains and soy free. Their number is 270-949-2276

If I remember correctly the brand they can get is the stuff at http://www.countrysideorganics.com/home.php?cat=51.

Organic AND soy-free.

In the spring you need to ask at least $3.00 or more for your bantams ... what kind do you have? That would even depend on the price you could get more....but $3.00 is low balling. yeah Let me know when you have more!!! PM me!!

Quote:
OH where were you when I was ready to buy Guinea Keets a few weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to buy them there in Leitchfield and some lady bought all 60 or so! (what was she thinking????!!!!) And she is a beginner chicken keeper and never owned Guinea's! Boy is she in for it, she asked if they were loud! LOL Anyway...will you have some again in the spring?

I just sold the 5 Monday night...... I might have more this spring if I can catch em, like I did these, lol. My guineas free range & they dont lay their eggs in the coop so sometimes I get lucky & stumble across a nest or keets & when I do I take advantage of it. They parent still have 8 keets with em, but they wont let me get close to grab any
sad.png

When we sell - Wed OR Sat are good days. Just depends on your chicks/hens/roo's. Healthy birds sell FAST! If you have a good history and are known for having good birds then you will get what you are asking for them, and wont have to lower your price. Stop in and take a look at the birds ... not all are, let me say this tactfully, oh I just wouldnt bring it into my flock to save my life or for no amount of money! Some brought there are just sad! So when they see a good bird, people pounce on it. If you sell reg. You meet good sellers, and ones that are honest. ANYWHERE though you have to be careful. It can be scary bringing any bird in your flock!

Ok, Thank You. I've got good lookin birds & chicks. I may try to sell some of my chicks up there... do you all think 2.00 a chick is too much, they are mutts, so are pure bantams. They are 4 weeks old.

hobbyfarmer:
hobbyfarmer Wrote:
Jen4 wrote:

Thanks hobbyfarmer... how much did you pay for the frizzle chicks, I bet they are so cute.

The chicks were $2 each - which I thought was a great deal on fully feathered chicks but we got an even better deal by taking all 6 chicks for $10.​

Okm, Thanks. Sounds like a good deal to me.​

Whats the Waterfowl Feed you use now? Is Kent the brand or Kent for Chickens? I've been looking for something with Wheat in it so I dont have to buy that separate.
I use Cecilia too...I dont know if this is Jerry or Rebecca... I've seen Jerry there a time or two...

Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:
When I called they said they were considering stocking it. Anybody in the area interested in organic feed should definately call and ask them about it. Maybe they will decide its important. At the very least maybe we can go in on it together, though I need to find out what exactly they can get. I like whole grains and soy free. Their number is 270-949-2276

We use Cecilia Farm Supply and they order us 10 bags of feed at a time. We finally gave up on the nutrena and found a good waterfowl feed and a Kent feed that has animal protein in it along with alfalfa, oats, wheat....etc. Great stuff and the birds go nuts over it.

If you can swing 10 bags it might be worth a try. We use more 10 bags a week here so it is not a big deal.​

just found this thread..not had time to read all way thru it..im located in lebanon ky...just wanting to meet and chat with others..share pics...wondering if any swap meet in ky ?? any info will be appreciated...we may be interested in a few more laying hens if anyone close by has any..thanks...

wilmothfarms: Oooo ok & I will. I wish I could get to the keets that are still with the parents but cant... I was watch em earlier today & they only have 6 now, so something got 2 of em already
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom