Kentucky people

Quote:
smile.png
WELCOME ! I am 5 to 6 Counties away depending which way you travel~ I am off the Blue Grass Parkway-half way between Louisville & Lexington~in small Spencer County.
cool.png

Quote:
Thanks that helps a lot! Someone told me that Self-blue is the same thing as lavender?Is that true?

They have completely different genetics and throw different colors in D'uccles (unless I suck at research worse than I thought). Though I am not good enough to tell the difference just by looking. I honestly wonder if anyone can.

Lavender and self blue are the same thing. Different breeds interchange the names. Blue (aka andalusian blue) and self blue/lavender are different.

Quote:
They have completely different genetics and throw different colors in D'uccles (unless I suck at research worse than I thought). Though I am not good enough to tell the difference just by looking. I honestly wonder if anyone can.

Thanks for the info.

Just to make sure you see this, I posted a reply to Zonoma's original response. Self blue and lavender are 2 different names for the same thing. Self blue and Blue are 2 different colors.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Just to make sure you see this, I posted a reply to Zonoma's original response. Self blue and lavender are 2 different names for the same thing. Self blue and Blue are 2 different colors.

Okay! Obviously I'm still learning.
roll.png
How can I tell the difference between self blue (andulusian) and blue/lavender? I would love to get my mitts on andulusian but don't know how to differentiate.
hu.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Hmm..that's nice to know, thanks!

Quote:

Okay! Obviously I'm still learning.
roll.png
How can I tell the difference between self blue (andulusian) and blue/lavender? I would love to get my mitts on andulusian but don't know how to differentiate.
hu.gif

Self blue and lavender are the same thing. Andalusian blue is a different color. Andalusian blue comes in light or dark but the darker ones are preferred in shows. But that varies from breed to breed. Andalusian blue is a dominant color modifier to black, meaning that the bird only needs 1 gene for blue in order to be blue. Self blue (aka lavender) is a recessive color modifier to black. This means that a lavender (self blue) bird must get a lavender (self blue) gene from both parents in order to be lavender (self blue). Birds with only one gene for lavender are called 'splits'.

Andalusian blue is laced:
DSC00731.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

PICT0125-1.jpg

Self blue (aka lavender) is a solid gray color:
DSC01065.jpg

This is splash, the 'pure' form of Andalusian blue. If you find birds of this color you can cross them with black to get blues:
DSC01064.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

Last edited:
th.gif
Whoa boy, this is going to take some time to understand, isn't it? Thank you for taking the time to set me straight. So I don't want self blue (recessive modifier, or masker?), I want true blue - the dominant modifier. There is no way I'm going to find d'uccles in time for his science project. We may have to modify what we want to breed for at this point and plan ahead next time.

Quote:
Blue d'uccles are hard to find. Blue mottled d'uccles are becoming more and more popular, there are a few members on here who have blue mottled. I believe self blue is a recessive modifier since it changes black to lavender. It does not 'cover' black, it changes it.

Back
Top Bottom