Kentucky people

Quote:
Thank you and nice meeting you also. I just finished doing some table top training with my 16 babies. I hope one day to show them but not until they are "soup". Do not know what I have as of now. I will look up the Green river show but if it is too far away, I will not go. Wish you good luck!

Quote:
What's with all the OEGB birds?. The 2 shows I have gone to have been loaded with them. The auction at the show was practically all OEGB's. Am I missing something?

You are in 'the south'...lots of game breeders in this area. They are very popular.

Quote:
Thank you and nice meeting you also. I just finished doing some table top training with my 16 babies. I hope one day to show them but not until they are "soup". Do not know what I have as of now. I will look up the Green river show but if it is too far away, I will not go. Wish you good luck!

The Green River show is in Brownsville, from my house it's about a 3 hour drive.

Quote:
What's with all the OEGB birds?. The 2 shows I have gone to have been loaded with them. The auction at the show was practically all OEGB's. Am I missing something?

LOL...welcome to poultry shows in Kentucky, if an Old English doesnt win the show they think the Judge was cheating. Didnt you notice they only announced the OEGB's over the intercom? When the judge was picking BB in Old English the whole barn leaned that way..I thought it was a earthquake.

I was also sorry not to see many if any large birds. I was looking for Orpingtons. The ones in the show were awesome. As far as OEGB I got tired of seeing so many. I saw nothing to buy except some nest boxes, but missed out on those. What other swaps do we have in the central KY area? I am in Nelson county. Sure wish we had one here.
hu.gif
:idunno

Quote:
I don't know if it's the same all over the state, but most people in my area have moved to bantams since feed prices are so high. LF birds at the local auction aren't selling for much at all. I saw some young Jersey Giants (at least 4 months old) sell for $3.50-$4.50 each a few weeks ago.

I liked some of the bantams that I saw, but just love my orps. I call them Chicken Dogs. They follow me around and come running as soon as they see me. A big plus is they don't fly and can't get out of my chicken yard. They are very easy to handle. I guess if I keep my flock small the feed prices will not effect me much.
I would be sorry to see any of my birds go that cheap. I recenly sold two roos a black and a blue for $10 each they were around 14 weeks. I also sold a Lavender roo for $20 and he was only 7-8 weeks. I guess it all depends what you have and what people are looking for. It like horses now. If there is not a market don't breed or try to sell them unless you are willing to give them away. It's sad what the ecomny is doing to us all.

I love my Orpingtons too, they are so fat and friendly. My Golden Comets are the same way, one actually came up the deck stairs and walked into my kitchen this morning.

Back
Top Bottom