Kentucky people

We come to Lexington once in awhile. What info do you have on a Buff Orphington hen? Could you get a picture possibly? Do you know where the bird came from? I am looking for big correct birds like mine.

Thanks!

Last night there was a livestock meeting for fayette co 4H. Because there was enough interest shown we will be starting a fayette county poultry club and poultry project. If you are in an adjoining county and don't have a poultry club in your 4h county you can transfer to become part of the fayette co project and club!!

I volunteered to help with the club. I may be looking to those much more knowledgable on our area for help!! Please let me know of you have children interested in participating or if you may be able to help in some way! Many families that were interested have never had birds at all.

Thanks!

We recently went on vacation and when we got back my broody hen has around 7-9 eggs under her. She started out with 7 then got rid of 3 and now she all of a sudden has a lot of eggs under her.I only have 2 more laying chickens in that coop and there both silkies. She wont let any of them around her except one of them. Is it possible that one of the silkie hens is laying their eggs in front of her and shes accidentally thinking there her eggs or is she laying the eggs?Also, we candled the eggs tonight and there are 1 maybe 2 that look like they could hatch any time now but there are a few that look like there only on day 3-10. Once the older ones hatch will she abandon the eggs after a couple days to take care of the chicks or will she still try to hatch out the rest of the eggs?

She will abandon the ones that haven't hatched within a day or so of the 1st one hatching. At least she should so she can take care of her babies. We had a broody do that to us when we weren't paying attention. We ended up taking the chicks as they hatched - after they dried off and putting them in the brooder. Then let her keep the last few that hatched. It was very staggered because she had let our one easter lay an egg each day to add to her stash.

Okay,thanks! I guess we'll just have to do that.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom