Kentucky people

I am using Silver and split coronation sussex for meat birds. they are very large. My males get up to 12 pounds! also the marans are a good dual purpose bird along with the sussex.

We're 100% Buff Orpington here. Have been since about 1990. The roos are fertile, get the job done, and grow big enough for a rotisserie bird. The hens lay very well, large brown eggs, and given a heat lamp and a light bulb they lay well into cold weather. The light buff color is easier on them in the summer as it absorbs less heat and keeps them cooler. Occasionally we have one that is fanatical broody. We just mark her nest and slip more eggs under her to hatch. They make fair mothers, but you need to watch the roos. Their size makes it easy to squash young chicks.

yay i found people from kentucky lol theres were ya all been hidin
wee.gif

Jes' been hangin' around waiting for the rain to stop and everythin' to dry up again. Got corn as high as a duck's eye already and taters up near as much.

Just had to brag a little.....My 13 yo son Jared was drawn for a KY Archery Elk Tag !!!!! We'll be elk hunting this fall!!! Can't wait!

Hello BYC folks from KY ~ Just found you all! I am from western Ky! Webster County to be exact... Have 6 chickens... they joined the "family" on April 2nd... and moved into their coop last wednesday after living in the house/then garage for a month... (yep my daughter suckered me into this on a trip to rural king...) But I must say I am kinda smitten with the flock... We have lost one to a neighbors dog during coop construction but we have them all nicely secured now... The question of the month is now - What do we have BOYS???? GIRLS??? lol I may post pictures and have ya'll help me out with that!

I am using Silver and split coronation sussex for meat birds. they are very large. My males get up to 12 pounds! also the marans are a good dual purpose bird along with the sussex.

Yeah, I thought about getting Sussex since they are large, but I have the one Marans rooster and thought I'd just use him over my egg layers.
He ended up being the only survivor of a dozen shipped BCM hatching eggs I bought last year.
Next year I'd like to get some Light Sussex; but right now I'm overrun with chickens.
(I need to find the willpower to turn OFF my incubator!)

Back
Top Bottom