Kentucky people

Hey Ky folks. I live in Glasgow. I have a mixed flock of about 13 hens. Was wondering if anybodys elses hens has slowed down on laying lately.
The heat and a little bit of a respratory infection knocked my girls back for about 4 days or so, but they got right back on the nests and have been laying like normal. I will say that my eggs seem to have gotten a tad smaller and shell color a little chaulkier, but alls well realy.

I've got a red star that started laying a lighter color egg untill it went white...then she stopped. She hasn't laid for a little over a week, hope it was due to the heat and nothing else.
idunno.gif

Im new to chickens ,so i was getting worried aboutmy girls.They started laying again today so mabey it was the heat last week.Just figured out today that 7 of my pullets turned out to be roos.So if anybody needs a rooster or two, mabey we can work out a deal.

We aren't getting many eggs either. I have 4 hens raising biddies, and the 2 remaining layers are having issues. One is getting treated for bumblefoot, but still laying every other day. The other is a very domineering production red who is trying to prove her position by out-eating the whole flock.

How do you put one chicken on a diet?!

We aren't getting many eggs either. I have 4 hens raising biddies, and the 2 remaining layers are having issues. One is getting treated for bumblefoot, but still laying every other day. The other is a very domineering production red who is trying to prove her position by out-eating the whole flock.

How do you put one chicken on a diet?!
Our chickens eat more garden scraps rt now than bagged food. Between the toss out tomatos, zuchs, cucumbers, etc...they are staying full...All my girls are still laying....went 6 for 6 today, but they are all the palest color of brown...almost dirty white.

I'm not using much feed either - 20 birds are going through 50# in about six weeks. I feed them lots of scraps, and they just got the meat from a 41" copperhead, but mostly they forage for bugs and greens. It is just the one hen trying to be a pig.

I just had something happen that I've never had before. My BCM just laid 2 eggs in less than 24 hours! She has been raising a chick for 5 weeks. I check the boxes often, 3 times a day. I think she laid one late yesterday evening and the other this morning. There's no mistaking her eggs either - she's the only one I have that lays those beauties.

One of the cubalaya hens is firing back up too. Those two are succeeding at communal rearing - if one hen needs a break, the other takes the biddies. They are still serious mamas, but apparently this pair is capable of mothering AND laying!

Saw this on CL.....
May have to take an hr road trip up.....

Swap Meet Lexington, Ky - Last Sat Every Month (Lexington, Ky)

Date: 2012-07-24, 6:54AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Swap Meet Lexington Ky & Farmers Market
EVERY MONTH UNTIL NOVEMBER 2012 Last Sat every month
Chicken & small animal swap meet in Lexington , Ky
Keep up on latest Poultry news at http://antiquetractorsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=74
WHEN : July 28 8:00 am to ? (from 1st crow to last peck)

WHAT: Bring your Poultry & poultry related items
country eggs (white & brown) will be there for sale

WHERE: Merchants Mall in Lexington!
1820 Bryan Station Rd
Hi-Acres Shopping Center
Contact Jr Dailey 859-559-1794

NO SET UP FEE
Plenty of Room & set up space
food vendors on site
Close to I-75 & I-64
lots of buyers here sellers been selling out
farmers market
this swap adv on several web sites and haveing a big responce.
food & rest rooms on the grounds

Fastest Growing Swap Meet In Ky
BUY SELL TRADE IF ITS FREE ITS FOR ME LOTS OF BUYERS & TRAFFIC WITH FARMERS MARKET OPENING THIS SAT..
Come out and enjoy a small animal swap meet July 28 at 8:00 am until everybody leaves this is a great location there are plenty of places to park and plenty of places for sellers to setup. Come out and enjoy some down home fun if you are buying saleing or trading don't drive 40 miles stop and make a deal with us bring your chickens, ducks, peacocks, pigeons, doves, goose, geese. Goslings, rabbits, baby goats, grown goats, game chickens, quail, or farm related items we welcome you to our swap.. This swap is free to all and food vendors and rest rooms a lot of parking space , lot of traffic in and out of the shopping center.(copy right to AMM..)
turkeys, bantams, chickens, ducks, geese, bantys, gamechickens, baby chicks

Back
Top Bottom