Kentucky people

I thought I saw a few adds for silkies on the Louisville CL. A lady in J-Town had some as I was talking to her about her Banties. I'm looking for a few Silver Duckwing and BBR OEG Banty pullets....

Mike

My kids and I had a great time. They spent hours on the rides, but I just overheard them plotting what they want to enter next year. So maybe something "took".

I must say I saw a GORGEOUS barred rock cock - the pattern, length and narrowness of his hackles was exquisite. But when I said good night to our flock tonight, I'm pretty happy with my own birds.
I must have missed this one. Perhaps he was gone by the time we went yesterday afternoon. The only one we saw looked like he had seen ten miles of bad road, but he still had a blue ribbon. I wonder if you guys would give me your opinion on mine. Don't worry about hurting my feelings - right now he is slated for the dinner table. It would actually make things much easier if you say he is nothing special - then I don't have to make room so I can keep him. He is a big boy. I am planning to get out of the Barred Rocks and concentrate on the other breeds I have. But I just wonder if he is worth saving if my kids get into 4H and show chickens. Unlike my other BR roos, he is a nice boy. He is 10 months old.

Being a nice boy would count for a lot in 4H. Sometimes it is more important to have a bird that is friendly, calm and trainable.

That said, his tail is carried too high, back looks short and maybe too many points on the comb? Beak and leg color are correct and he has a nice strong head.

I'm new to answering this kind of thing (been lurking around here for 3 yrs), can the experts chime in?

I would certainly love to see more rare breeds, but the structure of the premiums discourages it. The other thing is I am unsure I would wish to subject my best breeders to a week long show. That is pretty rough looking.

The BR I was extolling was one row over from the turkeys. A Mediterranean hen in the backed-up row was actually reaching through the wire and tugging on his gorgeous saddle hackles!!

I would certainly love to see more rare breeds, but the structure of the premiums discourages it. The other thing is I am unsure I would wish to subject my best breeders to a week long show. That is pretty rough looking.

The BR I was extolling was one row over from the turkeys. A Mediterranean hen in the backed-up row was actually reaching through the wire and tugging on his gorgeous saddle hackles!!
I haven't shown myself but noticed that alot of the birds were pacing and pulling feathers. They weren't happy/comfortable at all.

Maybe that IS the one I saw then, because that would explain why he looked so bad. Quite honestly, we could not believe anyone would even enter a bird looking as rough as he did. I sure wish I could have seen him before he was hen-pecked! I bet his owner was
rant.gif
!

I think this is the boy y'all are talking about. I took this pic on Friday.

Nice!
thumbsup.gif
Seeing mine next to that puts things into perspective. I won't feel guilty about having mine for dinner now! As for the nice boy part, I have plenty of other roos that fit better into my breeding plans that are just as sweet or sweeter, so my kids will have no problem finding one for 4H.

Thanks for posting the picture!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom